NBC's 30 Rock makes fun of the network, television in general and, in at least a few instances, product integration. Product integration is the new way to get advertising money that's becoming more and more popular. The Office blatantly refers to real corporations like Staples all the time and football has John Madden's scribbles sponsored by someone now. Well, on a recent episode of Rock, Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin blatantly praised Verizon Wireless in a brief exchange before Fey turned to the camera and said directly, "Can we have our money now?"
Funny and lucrative apparently, as Yahoo! reports today that this was a real case of product integration, with Verizon paying for the "commercial" which at the same time was making fun of the very thing they were doing which ... wow, this gets confusing.
A fun entry from the folks at Snapple. I'm a Peach Iced Tea fan myself, but I'd be willing to give the Green Tea with EGCG a try. So, the commercial is a success. I like the photography with the temple high atop the mountain and the dullard seeking out the wisdom of the master is a joke that never gets old.
You could see that ending coming, because why wouldn't it be on the bottle, but I like the little bit on the end where he repeated "It's on the back of the bottle." in a mocking tone as he made his way back down the mountain. Not a showstopper, but fun.
The first one was when we saw The Office's Kevin going nuts over the Staples MailMate shredder. "This shreds eveything," he says with a sense of childlike wonder. "It shreds CDs. It shreds credit cards..." The look on his face after he realized he shredded his own credit card is priceless, as was the salad he made with the shredder right before the credits. Oh, and by the way, Staples had an ad for the MailMate during the "supersized" episode.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Teams of 'The Amazing Race' Season 27
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21 Cast: 13 Couples Revealed with Paula Deen
- 'RHOA' Kicks Off Season 7 with Physical Brawl
- Chris Bukowski Retires from 'Bachelor' Franchise
- 'RHOC' Star Vicki Gunvalson on Costar Meghan King Edmonds: 'There is Zero Respect with Her'
- More From BuddyTV
- Does Arrow's Season 4 Poster Earn 'Higher' Marks Than Last Year's?
- Sons of Anarchy Vet Theo Rossi Joins Marvel's Luke Cage as [Spoiler]
- Scream Queens' Killer Opening Credits Unmasked
- Supernatural Season 11 First Look: Sam and Cas Are Bruised, Bloody — Plus: Crowley's Fate Revealed!
- Amazing Race 27: 'Kardashians,' Jets Cheerleaders, Paparazzi Among Cast
- More From TVLine
- All 13 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 21 Contestants, Ranked
- Everyone Is Losing Their Mind Over Kermit's New Girlfriend, Denise, on 'The Muppets Show'
- Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen 'Going Through a Rocky Point' but Still 'Very Much in Love'
- Miranda Lambert Lip Syncs 'Bad Blood' and Is All Smiles With Luke Bryan at ACM Honors
- MTV Honors Horror Legend Wes Craven in 'Scream' Finale
- More From ET