The shopper reacts like any of us would if we were accosted by a seven-foot tall, insane person with a pushy love of candy who knows us by name.
You can't really scream, but you would feel shivers through your entire body while walking briskly the other way. And what do you say once you get to the register? That you don't want that many Snickers? Do you tell management what you just saw at the risk of sound crazy yourself?
Sure, we've over-thought this 30-second commercial, but that's our job.
Shaffer also recognized White from a recent "Snickers" commercial, which is great. But truly, we hope that the younger generation doesn't only remember White for her one-time job selling candy bars.
Watch the video after the jump.
White was the focus of a spontaneous effort on the part of fans to get the powers that be at 'Saturday Night Live' to ask her to host, which was successful (she's scheduled to host May 8).
The videos below are from Hulu, because they were the first ones available. If you can't view them due to location restrictions, they will all be up at Fanhouse.
And how do you that? That's easy. Just sprinkle in some sex! It's nature's negotiator.
Of course, it's not as simple as it sounds. These days, people are easier to offend than Catholic nuns and the FCC has made it nearly impossible to advertise products the way God intended (i.e. naked girls with abnormally large boobs writhing and moaning over the awesomeness of Flonase). So an even subtler art of using sex to get your money lies within this deeply layered process. Here are the best of the best and the worst of the worst.
Oh, come on, get your mind out of the gutter! I'm talking, of course, about the strategy board game from Mego in the 70s. The game was called Ball Buster, and the object of the game was (and I'm not kidding) "to bust your opponents balls." Take a look at the video of the commercial after the jump. It wouldn't be so funny if the announcer wasn't trying to sound all sleazy and knowing ("and for adults, it's exciting"). The wink by the mom at the end doesn't help either. I can picture the cast of Swingtown playing this.
But I knew the risks when I signed up to be a television blogger. As my blogging mentor Hyman Roth once told me, "This is the business we have chosen, Jay." My list after the jump...
I thought I had seen everything Mr. T has done, but this commercial is completely new to me. You should skip to the bottom of this post and watch it, then come back here for my analyzation. Okay, then.
So, the commercial starts off with a soccer game, and one player overplaying his injury a little too much. We cut to a scene of Mr. T driving a tank toward the soccer field. He smashes two cars along the way: did those cars have people in them? Mr. T does not care. Mr. T has bigger things on his mind: big, nutty chocolaty things.
Anyway, now that you're up to date, you won't be seeing that commercial on television anymore. Snickers got complaints from the Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. Apparently they thought the ad was homophobic. Who knew, I thought it was just anti-gay. Oh, right.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal' Interview: Darby Stanchfield on Abby's Upcoming 'Gladiator Moments'
- [Video] 'The Bachelor' Preview: Kelsey Flips Out
- 'Arrow': 15 Awesome Quips from 'Midnight City'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 5.20 Photos: Hanna Enters a Beauty Pageant
- 'Criminal Minds' Recap: The Godfathers of the BAU
- More From BuddyTV
- Empire Recap: Bang! Bang! There Goes His Heart!
- The Americans Season 3 Premiere Recap: Nyet Matrix
- Pilots: ABC Orders Flesh and Blood Thriller from Scandal/Grey's Vet
- Post Mortem: Suits Boss Talks Louis' (Unforgivable?) Actions, Donna's Sex Confession and Multiple S-Bombs
- Pilots: CBS Orders Bradley Cooper- Produced Limitless Drama, 2 Comedies
- More From TVLine
- Tara Lipinski & Johnny Weir Make Super Bowl Picks Based on the Hottest Player!
- Hilary Duff, George Lopez Join Search for Missing Beverly Hills Dog
- Chelsea Handler Gets Naked: 11 Times She's Stripped Down
- Jennifer Lawrence 'Screamed' When She Met Kim Kardashian
- Contractor Killed on Martin Scorsese, Liam Neeson Movie Set
- More From ET