TiVo has started sending out new system software to Series3 users who signed up for priority updates. The general TiVo using population should get the TiVo 9.4 software soon. And thet means support for:
- YouTube video playback
- The ability to play or delete an entire folder (in other words, you can watch programs in order without hitting a button on your remote)
- Jump forward by 24 hours in the program guide
- Pull up the program guide from any screen, whether you're watching live, recorded, or downloaded video
- Easier toggling of closed captioning
- Review your thumbs up and down ratings
Almost a year after announcing plans to release a software update for DirecTV TiVo customers, TiVo is finally rolling out an update that provides:
A recently deleted folder
Overlap protection that makes it easier to record two concurrent shows on separate channels
Remote booking (online scheduling)
All of these features have been available to TiVo Series2 customers for years. But since DirecTV no longer offers TiVo service to new customers, any updates at all are kind of impressive.
[via Gizmo Lovers]
The TiVo 9.2 software update for Series3 and TiVo HD boxes enables the new Rhapsody music service and support for external hard drives. If you've got a Series2 box, the latest software version is still 9.1, but that'll be good enough to get you the Rhapsody service.
Honestly, I'm not really sure why TiVo doesn't just push out the new software all at once. Sure, a phased rollout makes sense if you want to use your customers as a huge pool of beta testers. The early adopters can report problems which can be corrected before the wider public gets the software update. But there are no warnings on the priority update page, which would indicate that you're really just letting TiVo know that you're aware the new software is available and that you'll be grumpy if you don't get it soon.
[via TiVo Blog]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' says goodbye to Katherine: Watch her best moments
- Amy Sedaris joins Jane Krakowski's FOX comedy pilot 'Dead Boss'
- 'The Flash': 'Arrow' spinoff casts Patrick Sabongui as Captain David Singh
- 'Blue Bloods': Killed couple's daughter seeks revenge
- 'Grimm' Season 3: Reggie Lee discusses 'Mommy Dearest' shocker and Wu's first name reveal
- More From Zap2it
- Pilot News: Dave Annable, Chuck Alum and Enlisted Star Are Among the Latest Castings
- Fox Renews New Girl, Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Following
- Pilot Scoop: One Tree Hill's Robert Buckley Returns to The CW in Rob Thomas' iZombie
- HBO Reveals First Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Promo — Watch and Weigh In
- American Idol: What Should the Top 11 Sing for Movie Soundtrack Night?
- More From TVLine