TiVo has started sending out new system software to Series3 users who signed up for priority updates. The general TiVo using population should get the TiVo 9.4 software soon. And thet means support for:
- YouTube video playback
- The ability to play or delete an entire folder (in other words, you can watch programs in order without hitting a button on your remote)
- Jump forward by 24 hours in the program guide
- Pull up the program guide from any screen, whether you're watching live, recorded, or downloaded video
- Easier toggling of closed captioning
- Review your thumbs up and down ratings
Almost a year after announcing plans to release a software update for DirecTV TiVo customers, TiVo is finally rolling out an update that provides:
A recently deleted folder
Overlap protection that makes it easier to record two concurrent shows on separate channels
Remote booking (online scheduling)
All of these features have been available to TiVo Series2 customers for years. But since DirecTV no longer offers TiVo service to new customers, any updates at all are kind of impressive.
[via Gizmo Lovers]
The TiVo 9.2 software update for Series3 and TiVo HD boxes enables the new Rhapsody music service and support for external hard drives. If you've got a Series2 box, the latest software version is still 9.1, but that'll be good enough to get you the Rhapsody service.
Honestly, I'm not really sure why TiVo doesn't just push out the new software all at once. Sure, a phased rollout makes sense if you want to use your customers as a huge pool of beta testers. The early adopters can report problems which can be corrected before the wider public gets the software update. But there are no warnings on the priority update page, which would indicate that you're really just letting TiVo know that you're aware the new software is available and that you'll be grumpy if you don't get it soon.
[via TiVo Blog]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Shadowhunters Adds Being Human's Jon Cor as Hodge Starkweather
- Outlander Stars, EP Talk Finale's Tough, 'Tricky' Jamie-Randall Scenes
- American Idol's Jax Talks Bon Jovi, Beatles and 'Bang Bang' Covers, Her Brutal Exit and the Origin of Her 'X'
- Needy Briefcase Family Once Threw a Lavish Kiddie Party on TLC Series
- Gotham Season 2: Nicholas D'Agosto Promoted to Series Regular
- More From TVLine
- Harrison Ford Flies a Helicopter Just Months After His Plane Crash
- North West Is the Most Chic Ballerina Ever
- Demi Lovato on Battling Bipolar Disorder: 'Recovery Is Possible'
- Taylor Swift Has Lunch With Her Boys Calvin Harris & Ed Sheeran in Sexy Overalls Look
- 'Bachelor' Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff Call Off Their Engagement
- More From ET