It's like 40% of pop culture dies every year.
When The Soupy Sales Show was live, his staff set him up for a prank, according to an interview he did with NBC's Bob Costas. As he went into a commercial, he would hear a woman scream, open the door and see a pair of ladies' shoes being dragged out of the frame. But when he actually opened the door, all he saw was a woman wearing ONLY her shoes (I think, I never bothered to look at her feet).
This clip contains censored nudity. So if you're watching it at work, make sure you share it with everyone around you, especially the ladies.
By day, he was a zany kids' performer; by night, a strictly-for-grownups raconteur who might be seen guest-hosting 'The Tonight Show' or showcasing the top names in jazz on his own nighttime series. As a children's host who mixed deliberately silly juvenile humor with sly wit that winked at adults, he anticipated recent kids' entertainment from 'Pee-wee's Playhouse' to 'SpongeBob SquarePants.'
Before the current reign of Regis Philbin, he was probably the most ubiquitous celebrity on television, logging thousands of appearances on his own long-running shows in the '50s and '60s as well as on countless game shows in the '70s and '80s. And of course, there were the infamous scandalous ad libs that, paradoxically, made him a subversive hero to Baby Boomers coming of age in the '60s. Here are video clips of some of his most memorable moments:
In addition to The Soupy Sales Show, Soupy was a comedian. He played clubs and did shtick, and all through the 1960s and 1970s he was a regular on game shows, including What's My Line, To Tell the Truth, Match Game and Hollywood Squares.
The sketch I've placed below is from The Mike Douglas Show and features Douglas, Soupy Sales and Moe Howard. The sketch is amusing, though not laugh-out-loud funny, but you may like it more than I did. Really, my main reason for posting it is that I'm a Three Stooges fan and I've never seen any of the Stooges outside of their old movie shorts. Seeing Moe in thick glasses and gray hair is both kind of cool and kind of weird. It's "cweridool," if you will. Will you? Thank you.
In the sketch, which according to Mark Evanier is based on an old Stooges bit, Moe serves as a translator for the "Maharjah." Hilarity ensues.
Speaking of The Three Stooges, Spike TV airs episodes in the wee hours of the morning. They're always worth an occasional Tivoing if I do say so myself. I especially like the one where Moe gets upset and hits Larry and Curly.
If any of you sexy, sexy readers of this blog plan to go out partying tonight, I hope you have fun and also stay safe. I recommend covering your entire body in bubble wrap and foam insulation.
Now then, if you find yourself at a party and somebody slaps a record on the turntable (because in my mind, all New Year's Eve parties take place in 1972) and everyone starts dancing, don't be scared. Maybe you don't have the best moves in the world, but there are plenty of dances perfect for folks like you and me, and I've provided you with two instructional videos below. The first is Soupy Sales doing "The Mouse" on Hullabaloo, and the second is "The Curly Shuffle," courtesy of the Three Stooges and the Jump 'N The Saddle Band. I hope you find these useful.
NOTE: The Soupy video has a weird audio glitch at the end, so don't crank your speakers up too loud.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Searches for Tracy While The Ladies Get a Chance to Shine
- 'The Whispers' Recap: Drill's Secrets are Revealed
- 'Becoming Us' Recap: Does Carly Steal Sutton's Thunder?
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kaitlyn's Secret and Shawn's Jealous Rage
- 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' Recap: Vicki Gets Some Devastating News
- More From BuddyTV
- Teen Wolf Recap: Without a Tracy
- UnReal Recap: There's Something Off About Mary
- The Bachelorette Recap: The Truth Won't Let You Pee!
- So You Think You Can Dance Recap: The Top 20 Revealed — and Ranked! Plus: Exclusive First-Look Photos
- Chasing Life EP on Natalie's Discovery, April's Setback & More Season 2 Scoop
- More From TVLine
- Ben Affleck Breaks Social Media Silence After Jennifer Garner Split
- Michael Buble's Son Adorably Reveals Baby No. 2 News!
- Judd Apatow, Jill Scott React to New Bill Cosby Development
- Bill Cosby Admitted to Obtaining Quaaludes to Give to 'Young Women' in 2005
- NSFW! Justin Bieber Bares His Butt on Instagram
- More From ET