Spitting Image was a satirical series focusing on politics and pop culture that aired in the UK from 1984 to 1996. American audiences may have caught a few primetime specials featuring the grotesque puppets, but other than those specials and Genesis' video for "Land of Confusion," the characters never really took hold in the US. It's somewhat of a shame, because they were really funny, and a lot better than D.C. Follies, Sid and Marty Krofft's lame attempt at political puppet humor. Not even Fred Willard could save that series.
Recently, two Spitting Image puppets, Margaret Thatcher and Gordon Brown, were purchased at an auction for £5,040 and £4,800. Had I known they were up for sale, I would have bid on them myself. What's £5,040 translate to in American dollars? Like a buck fifty? Or is that just a fantasy I've concocted to convince myself I could ever actually own one of those puppets?
It's the TV Squad Presidents' Day Blow Out Sale! Everything must go! We've got a warehouse full of lava lampshades, knee whitening kits, puppy dehydrators, hand-knitted welding masks, helium-powered baby goggles, and aisle after aisle of Mrs. Picklebutton's Homemade Mayonnaise-Flavored Waffle Syrup. Did I mention free giraffe rides for senior citizens?
Anyway, I listed five of my favorite television appearances by presidents in puppet or animated form. Hail to the chief and all that. If you think of others, please share. Taft would have wanted it that way.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor: The Women Tell All' Photos: Chris Soules Faces the Ladies
- 6 Reasons You're Going to Love 'Battle Creek'
- 'Star Trek' Legend Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83
- 'The Amazing Race' Prediction: Which Team Will Go Home Next?
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 12 Girls Performance Rankings
- More From BuddyTV
- Teen Wolf Season 5: Shelley Hennig on Stalia 'Changes,' New Faces and More
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Poster: Daenerys' Dragons Are Coming!
- Pilot Scoop: Craig Ferguson to Lord Over ABC Comedy The King of 7B
- Killing Jesus First Look: Jesus' Crucifixion Recreated for NatGeo
- More From TVLine
- 'Once Upon A Time' Spring Premiere: We Answer 22 of Your Most Burning Questions!
- 13 Reasons Leonard Nimoy Was Even More Amazing Than You Knew
- Remembering Leonard Nimoy: President Obama and Celebs React to the 'Star Trek' Star's Death
- Kelly Clarkson Can't Stop Hating on 'From Justin to Kelly'
- Leonard Nimoy, Spock of 'Star Trek,' Dead at 83
- More From ET