Spitting Image was a satirical series focusing on politics and pop culture that aired in the UK from 1984 to 1996. American audiences may have caught a few primetime specials featuring the grotesque puppets, but other than those specials and Genesis' video for "Land of Confusion," the characters never really took hold in the US. It's somewhat of a shame, because they were really funny, and a lot better than D.C. Follies, Sid and Marty Krofft's lame attempt at political puppet humor. Not even Fred Willard could save that series.
Recently, two Spitting Image puppets, Margaret Thatcher and Gordon Brown, were purchased at an auction for £5,040 and £4,800. Had I known they were up for sale, I would have bid on them myself. What's £5,040 translate to in American dollars? Like a buck fifty? Or is that just a fantasy I've concocted to convince myself I could ever actually own one of those puppets?
It's the TV Squad Presidents' Day Blow Out Sale! Everything must go! We've got a warehouse full of lava lampshades, knee whitening kits, puppy dehydrators, hand-knitted welding masks, helium-powered baby goggles, and aisle after aisle of Mrs. Picklebutton's Homemade Mayonnaise-Flavored Waffle Syrup. Did I mention free giraffe rides for senior citizens?
Anyway, I listed five of my favorite television appearances by presidents in puppet or animated form. Hail to the chief and all that. If you think of others, please share. Taft would have wanted it that way.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'There's No Place Like Home'
- 11 Times 'The 100' Gave Me Nightmares
- 6 Reasons to Watch 'The Americans' Season 3
- 'Suits' Interview: Sarah Rafferty on Louis' Rage, Collateral Damage, Fun Flashback and More!
- 'The Bachelor' Family Blogs: A Tale of Two Ashleys
- More From BuddyTV
- RuPaul's Drag Race Shakes Up Judges' Panel — Watch the Season 7 Trailer!
- The Walking Dead First Look: 'What Happened' to Michonne?
- Stalker Sneak Peek: Phoebe Tonkin's Ex Marks the Spot — Or Does He?
- Will Suits Give In to Louis? 'You Can't Say Yes to a Child's Demands,' Says EP
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: Freezer Burn
- More From TVLine
- 'Arrow': Is Laurel in Over Her Head? Katie Cassidy on 'Jaw-Dropping' Canary Twists!
- Netflix's ‘Wet Hot American Summer' Cast by the Numbers
- GoDaddy Pulls Puppy Super Bowl Ad Following Backlash
- Nick Jonas Is Sick of Looking at His Shirtless, Crotch-Grabbing Photos
- Chris Pratt as Indiana Jones? 6 Reasons He Could Be the Best or Worst Choice
- More From ET