When Dr. Drew's Head Counselor, Bob Forrest, stopped in to check on Adler, he was disappointed to find the former Guns N' Roses drummer was still smoking marijuana, and apparently on a daily basis.
To emphasis the severity of Adler's addiction, Forrest asked, "Why couldn't you just not smoke pot for a day? That's what I want to point out to you. You knew I was coming here."
Dr. Drew and the staff learned that Starr had died of a drug overdose shortly after getting prescription pain medication. Shelly Sprague broke the news to Adler, who immediately knew what had taken his friend's life.
Claiming that Fisher's dishonesty and unwillingness to share with the group was holding everyone back, the former Guns N' Roses drummer charged Fisher with living in denial.
"What's wrong with denial?" Drew asked.
First, he yelled at her when she compared the rehab facilities to prison, defending their current accommodation as far better. Then, in a later group session, Fisher declined to identify herself as an addict or an alcoholic. Instead she said she was just listening right now and had nothing to contribute.
"Might as well identify yourself as what you are," Adler told her. "Because you wouldn't be here if there was nothing."
On Friday we talked to a shrink who told us he had serious concerns that the show was exploitative and gave a false impression of what actually happens in real drug rehab.
Today we are much less concerned with that theoretical nonsense and want to discuss all the crazy, terrible and embarrassing things we saw on last night's show. Let's get to it, then.
When she heard he was coming back into the facility, she had a full-blown panic attack. "Not only did he physically abuse me," she said. "He emotionally and verbally abused me. So all those fears came back."
She was able to talk it out and calm down, realizing that Adler on drugs us not the man himself. "I think Steven Adler when he's on drugs is a monster," she said. But the idea is to get Steven Adler off of the drugs and have him be the man he should be.
For three seasons now, doctor-to-the-stars Drew Pinsky has helped everyone from former wrestlers to adult film stars kick their destructive drug habits, some attempts more successful than others. Conaway's is just one of many ongoing recovery stories resulting from the show.
The first thing I thought of when I learned the celebrity lineup on the next edition of VH-1's Celebrity Rehab was "wow, this could get ugly." The New York Post is reporting that the celebs involved in the second edition of the show include Jeff Conaway (who was on the first edition but decided to leave before it was over), Gary Busey, Rodney King, Sean Stewart (Rod's son), former American Idol contestant Nikki McKibben, Tawny Kitean, Amber Smith, and former Guns 'n Roses drummer Steven Adler.
This is really sad for all of the obvious celebrities-doing-reality shows reasons, but I'm also a little irritated by Dr. Drew Pinsky, who is the leader/executive producer of this show. Once upon a time I'm sure Pinsky simply wanted to help people, but now, although I'm sure he'd rather see these people cleaned up than going through addiction and other problems (obviously), there's more than a whiff of exploitation in the air. Like Dr. Phil, he could easily counsel these people away from the cameras. Why does everything (and everyone) have to be on television now?
Filming for the season began on Monday and the show will debut in October.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Moments of Love and Sacrifice from 'Prayer for the Dying'
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.12: Hayley Faces Difficult Decision
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.12 Photos: Malcolm Merlyn Joins the Team
- 'The Flash' Episode 12 Photos: Barry Gets a Girlfriend
- More From BuddyTV
- Criminal Minds Spinoff Pilot Adds Breaking Bad Star Anna Gunn
- HTGAWM Stars on the Arrival of Sam's [Spoiler], Future of The Keating 5: 'There's a Teeter-Totter of Trust'
- Parenthood Finale: Show Boss Talks Flash-Forward Surprises, Deleted Scenes and That FNL Cameo
- Scandal Returns: The 7 Craziest Reveals About Olivia's Vanishing
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Going, Going Wrong
- More From TVLine
- OMG T.G.I.T.! The Jaw-Dropping Moments From 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' and 'HTGAWM'
- Ellen Snaps a Birthday Selfie With Music's Biggest Superstars
- 'Parenthood' Series Finale Recap: The Bravermans End Where It All Began
- Disney Is Introducing Its First Latina Princess!
- 6 Secrets Katy Perry Revealed About Her Super Bowl Halftime Show
- More From ET