super bowl ratings
According to the Hollywood Reporter, last night's Super Bowl broadcast grabbed a crushing 46.4 rating and 68 share for the Saints 31-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts. Those numbers are up eight percent over last year's game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals, which is particularly impressive considering that broadcast set a Super Bowl record with 98.6 million viewers.
Even more impressive: this year's total of 106.5 million viewers is the largest television audience in American history, just edging out the previous record set by the 1983 finale of 'M*A*S*H.'
That's pretty good considering there wasn't a nipple in this year's game.
It's not hard to see great ratings for the game most years though. TV networks usually don't air much opposite them. Last night, for example, ABC and FOX ran repeats of their comedies while NBC had repeats of 'The Biggest Loser.'
My roommate is incredibly upset about what happened to The New England Patriots on Sunday night. He now has to get his "19-0" tattoo removed via laser, and that's going to be painful.
But I'm not here to rehash the game and what happened and what should have been done, I'm here to talk about the ratings for the game. The FOX broadcast actually garnered the highest rating for the Super Bowl ever. 97.5 million watched the game (a 37.6 rating), according to Nielsen. This makes it not only the most-watched Super Bowl game, but also the second most watched show in TV ever, just behind the M*A*S*H finale in 1983.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 7 Christmas Episodes That (Almost) Make You Believe in Santa Again
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 5.18 Photos: Can Spencer and Caleb Find Mona's Missing Laptop?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 5.17 Photos: Trouble for Spencer and Toby?
- [Video] 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Sneak Peek: Is Blaine Turning His Back on New Directions?
- [Video] 'Entourage' Movie Trailer: Vince, Ari and the Boys are Back
- More From BuddyTV
- The Mentalist Sneak Peek: Is Jane Prepared to Walk Away From the FBI?
- Save the Dates! Your Guide to 125+ January Returns, Debuts and Finales
- Amy Adams on Today Show Interview Cancellation: 'I Still Don't Understand'
- Ratings: Shrek and Toy Story Top Tuesday, Silence One Direction
- 2014 in Review, Part 1: Best and Worst in Drama, Comedy and Reality, the Most Improved, Underrated and More!
- More From TVLine