You knew this was going to be an episode fraught with revelations when the strains of Carly Simon singing "No Secrets" played over the opening scene. Perfect song to comment on the surprises to come, as Swingtown climbs toward the big season one climax next week.
The show is getting tantalizing terrific. It's not that I'm enamored with all the characters, but they've all become interesting to me. Even Ricky's struggle to come to terms with his best friend falling in love with the girl next door and leaving behind their buddy-buddy relationship, was surprisingly meaningful to me. The scene where Janet advised Ricky to show B.J. how important his friendship was to him was wonderful. His hugging Mom like that was so true; Janet is a tough mother, but she's the embodiment of love and support and Ricky needed his mommy in that moment.
(S02E08) Not everybody likes the same things, and you don't have to spend a lot of time on this blog to know that a lot of people have different opinions about what constitutes a good television program. Tom Goes to the Mayor is so unique in its look and sense of humor that it's perfectly reasonable some would be turned off by it. If you've been reading my recaps/reviews, you know I'm a big fan of the show, but I wanted to try and find a reasonable argument against it. However, perusing the messageboards on the Adult Swim site doesn't offer much in the way of "reasonable arguments," other than "this show sucks" and "this show is totally gay."
I was listening to the archives of Paul Goebel's podcast the other day, and I think he offered an apt critique of the show. Goebel likes Tom Goes to the Mayor, but he does feel it's too "post-modern." In other words, it's sometimes so weird to the point where a person can totally lose interest, and you end up not really caring about the characters or what happens to them. I'm of a different mind, and actually revel in that post-modern weirdness. I splash around in it. I drink deeply of its essence, I do. Goebel references another great Adult Swim show, Venture Bros., which manages to be unique and still have characters you really care about. As a fan of both shows, I think that's a fair assessment of them. Nevertheless, I've always had a very dark and odd sense of humor, and TGTTM taps right into it. I can't help it, it's just how I'm wired.
The premise of the show is that Kristin and her television-friendly co-host help friends and/or family plan and execute a surprise party for a very deserving person. It must be as boring as it sounds.
South Beach (Wednesdays, UPN) Two hot, New York City working-class bachelors leave the big city behind to follow one of their girlfriends to South Beach, FL, only to discover that she has a new boyfriend. They get mixed up with the rich and famous in the club scene. After viewing a sneak preview on UPN's website, it looks like a guilty pleasure like The O.C., except with more sex and no high school. Jennifer Lopez is the executive producer and it co-stars Vanessa Williams as a club owner and mother to one of the main characters. South Beach premieres on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 8 pm.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Meet the Top 20 Dancers
- 'Teen Wolf': 15 Freaky and 2 Adorable Moments from 'Dreamcatcher'
- 'UnREAL': The Problem with Rachel and Adam's Romance
- Casting Bits: 'Scandal' and 'Castle' Add Series Regulars, Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire' and More
- Is 'Teen Wolf' Trying to Replace Scott with Liam?
- More From BuddyTV
- Daredevil Season 2 Casts Elektra
- Ratings: Game of Thrones Season 5 Breaks 20 Million-Viewer Barrier
- Bill Cosby Sitcoms Yanked from Centric, Bounce TV's Schedules
- Fall TV's Mystery Crossover: Castle Joins S.H.I.E.L.D., Cookie Visits Gotham and More TVLine Reader Theories
- X-Files: Mulder & Scully Are on the Case in the Revival's Fleeting First Footage
- More From TVLine
- Harry Shearer Is Returning to 'The Simpsons'
- Watch Cristiano Ronaldo Attempt to Sell Some Weird Japanese Product in This Even Weirder Commercial
- Meg Ryan Looks Gorgeous in Rare Public Appearance
- EXCLUSIVE: Ben Affleck Flies to Atlanta, Where Jennifer Garner Is Filming
- Taylor Swift Breaks Another Record With 'Blank Space' Video
- More From ET