October 20, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Best Batman Villains from TV and Film
- 'The Walking Dead': 19 Moments of Family, Forgiveness, and Feast from 'Strangers'
- 'Once Upon a Time': 17 Moments of Dating, Darkness and Blackmail from 'The Apprentice'
- FOX Orders Ryan Murphy Comedy-Horror Show 'Scream Queens'
- 'RHONYC': Bethenny Frankel is Officially Returning for Season 7
- More From BuddyTV
- The Flash Recruits General Hospital's Roger Howarth for Recurring Role
- American Dad on TBS: What to Expect From the Big Move (Besides F-Bombs)
- The Blacklist Photos: What Will Land Liz in the Hospital?
- TVLine Items: Housewives Star Joins Good Witch, Chrisley Renewed & More
- Arrow Casts Vinnie Jones as 'Brick'
- More From TVLine
- Whoa! We're Giving Away a Gift Bag Worth Over $3K
- 5 Stars Who Started in Horror Movies
- Jake Gyllenhaal Runs Like a Coyote, Loses 30 Pounds for Nightcrawler!
- Mariah Carey Proves She Can Still Hit Those High Notes - and Clean House -- in Bizarre Video
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Selfie' Sneak Peek: Watch Eliza Hilariously Try (And Fail) at Babysitting!
- More From ET