August 28, 2015
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Complications Cancelled at USA Network
- Pretty Little Liars, Five Years Forward: Where Is Everyone in Season 6B?
- Hindsight Cancelled at VH1, Despite Season 2 Renewal
- Reign Season 3 Trailer Makes Chilling Prediction: 'Scotland's Queen Will Fall'
- TVLine Items: Astronaut Wife to Fox, Miss America Adds Co-Host & More
- More From TVLine
- All of Taylor Swift's Music Video Boyfriends, Ranked
- FLASHBACK: The Biggest Moments From the Best VMAs Ever in 2000!
- Judge Judy Gives Advice on How to Stop Bullying in Schools
- Tila Tequila Kicked Off of 'Celebrity Big Brother,' Reportedly for Past Nazi Remarks
- EXCLUSIVE! Behind-the-Scenes of 'The Originals' Bewitchingly Dark Webseries 'The Awakening'
- More From ET