the cosby show
But in TV land, the sisters were doin' it for themselves and finally getting respect as cops, war nurses and working moms; iconic shows like 'Hill Street Blues,' 'St. Elsewhere' and 'L.A. Law' would forever change (for the better) cop, medical and legal dramas; and no idea was too high concept to fill a primetime spot (time-travelling physicist? check; housewife-turned-CIA op? check; New York City beauty in love with a subterranean monster? check).
The bottom line: They all add up to 10 years of fine channel surfing -- and our awesome list of the 40 best series of the 1980s.
It's been named one of the best sitcoms of all time, changed the way African-Americans are portrayed on television, spawned a successful spin-off ('A Different World') and helped pave the way for shows from 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' to 'Everybody Hates Chris.'
So what have Cliff, Claire and their 'Cosby' brood been up to since we last invited them into our living rooms? Who went on to more sitcom success, who won Tonys ... and which cast members found their spouses while working with the Huxtables? Read on to find out.
To enter, leave a comment below before 5:00PM Eastern, Friday, November 14 simply telling us why you'd like to own this DVD set. As always, we'll randomly choose one winner amongst the eligible entries. Some other details:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below stating why you'd like to own The Cosby Show 25th Anniversary DVD set.
- The comment must be left before November 14, 2008 at 5:00PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected in a random drawing.
- One winner will receive The Cosby Show 25th Anniversary DVD set (valued at $124.98).
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
However, TBS has a throwback family comedy, one in The Cosby Show mode, and they're sticking with it. TBS's The Bill Engvall Show has just been given a third season renewal. The sitcom will be back in the summer 2009 with ten new episodes.
I've watched The Bill Engvall Show and enjoyed it. It's meant to evoke Cosby, but I also found a lot of Everybody Loves Raymond and Home Improvement in it as well, and that's a good thing. Engvall's a funny guy, and he's greatly aided in the show by sitcom vet Nancy Travis as his smart, attractive spouse.
Good luck finding a balance between astute punditry, quality reporting, over-hyped production and clear coverage of the activities on the floor and stage by the political party. It's not easy. Here's some things, good and bad, that I've noticed in these first three days:
1) The Obama family are the Huxtables
After Michelle Obama's speech on Monday night, her two daughters -- Sasha and Malia -- rushed onto the stage and Barack appeared via video hook up to speak with them and Michelle, congratulating her for the speech. It was a perfect TV moment. As good as her speech was, the image of the family was even better. In a voice that reminded me of Rudi Huxtable, Sasha talked to her father and chirped, "I love you, Daddy." The Obama's became The Cosby Show. If that doesn't connect to the TV audience, nothing will. (Check out the video below.)
That's one of interesting revelations (though that one has been known for quite some time) in the new book Mickey Rooney as Archie Bunker and Other TV Almosts by Eila Mell. It lists a bunch of actors and actresses who almost got roles we know and love. For example, Jenna Fischer (The Office) tried out for the role of Sydney Bristow on Alias, but was deemed not sexy enough for the part (as we told you about before). Whitney Houston didn't want the role of Bill Cosby's daughter on The Cosby Show so the role went to Lisa Bonet. And Leonardo DiCaprio almost played David Hasselhoff's son on Baywatch (the role went to Brandon Call and later Jeremy Jackson). That one isn't surprising at all, considering DiCaprio did work on Growing Pains and other shows.
So, here's my five favorite sitcom dads, the ones I related to the most. That means I've excluded single dads and animated dads. That means Hank Hill, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin and Fred Flintstone are ineligible for my list. Also, this is strictly sitcom pops.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- The Cosby Show - Seasons 7 and 8
- Deadliest Catch - Season 3
- Def Poetry Jam - Season 3
- Fortysomething - Complete Series
- Hell's Kitchen - Season 1
- The Last Detective - Series 4
- Living with Ed - Season 1
- Matlock - Season 1
- Meerkat Manor - Season 2
- Mythbusters - Collection 3
- Nanny 911 - Season 1
- Perry Mason - 50th Anniversary Set
- Rock of Love with Bret Michaels - Season 1
- Sense & Sensibility - Miniseries
- Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles - Season 6
Just last night, a fan named Kevin sent me this query...
"What actor/actress has received the most money for a sitcom syndication deal?"
Well, the short answer is Jerry Seinfeld. The long answer has all the details.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow. It's a complete series extravaganza!
- The Andy Williams Show - Best Of
- The Bob Hope Show - The Ultimate Collection
- The Captain and Tennille - TV Specials
- The Colbert Report - Best Of
- The Cosby Show - Season 5 and 6
- Doctor Who - Series 3, Story #123 and 124
- Flight of the Conchords - Season 1
- Full House - Complete Series and Season 8
- Gilligan's Island - Complete Series
- House of Venus - Season 1
- King of Queens - Complete Series
- Martin - Season 3
- McLeod's Daughters - Season 4
- The Munsters - Scary Little Christmas
- The Pink Panther Show - A Pink Christmas
- Project Runway - Season 3
- Seinfeld - Complete Series and Season 9
- Sesame Street - Old School Vol. 2
- The Tonight Show - Heeere's Johnny: The Definitive DVD Collection
- Wildfire - Season 2
- Wings - Season 5
- Wonder Woman - Complete Collection
- The X-Files - Complete Collection Edition
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Complete Series
- The Bronx is Burning - Complete Series
- The Cosby Show - Best Of
- Count Dracula - Complete BBC Miniseries
- Davey and Goliath - Lost Episodes
- Dog The Bounty Hunter - The Arrest
- Drawn Together - Season 2 Uncensored
- Grounded For Life - Season 5
- Home Run Derby - Vol. 3
- Inside The Actor's Studio - Leading Men
- The King of Queens - Season 9
- Midsomer Murders - Set 9
- My Name Is Earl - Season 2
- Numb3rs - Season 3
- Robert Klein: The HBO Specials 1975-2007
- The Streets of San Francisco - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Thunderbirds - 40th Anniversary Megaset
- The Unit - Season 2
- The Untouchables - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Voltron - Collection 4
- What About Brian - Complete Series
I'm not even going to pretend to narrow down the five most influential television characters ever... I'll just give you the list of five TV characters that had the biggest effect on me. Interestingly, none of mine are from cartoons. List your Top Five in the comments.
With Scrubs on hold, I went to NBC's webpage for Teachers and found out who the guy was. It's Deon Richmond, y'all! He played Rudy's friend Kenny ("but I call him 'Bud'") on The Cosby Show. Since then, he appeared in Eddie Murphy's Raw and Spike Lee's Mo Better Blues. He's also appeared on a string of sitcoms, including a recurring role on Sister, Sister.
It's great to see him, but I'm still not going to watch that show.
As my newborn son (part of a twin set; the other is a girl) rests in my arms, I just want to take this moment to thank two cable channels for being there for us as we struggled through the sleepless first night home: Nick@Nite and The Hallmark Channel.
Yes, I said the Hallmark Channel!
The Hallmark Channel was on during the 11 P.M. till 1 A.M. shift with four episodes of M.A.S.H . When I was younger I never liked the early episodes with Frank Burns, Colonel Blake, and Trapper John. Now I like those more, as well as the first two seasons where Colonel Potter and B.J. Hunnicutt joined the cast (these are the episodes The Hallmark Channel is showing now). Once Frank Burns left and Charles Winchester joined the 4077th the show got a bit too preachy for me, and Col. Potter began to spout too many southern cliches.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'The Gift'
- 'RHOBH' Star Kim Richards Leaves Rehab for Daughter's Wedding
- Britt Nilsson Still Dating 'Bachelorette' Suitor Brady Toops?
- 'RHOC' Star Vicki Gunvalson: 'I Don't Want to Look Like a Plastic Barbie Doll'
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Cersei Gets What She Deserves
- More From BuddyTV
- GoT Recap: Royally Screwed
- Anne Meara, Actress/Comedian and Half of Stiller & Meara, Dead at 85
- Quotes of the Week From The Flash, Late Show, Game of Thrones and More
- Sharon Osbourne on Hiatus from CBS' The Talk Due to 'Extreme Exhaustion'
- Orphan Black Boss Talks [Spoiler]'s Sacrifice, Angry Felix, Twerking Alison
- More From TVLine