the book of daniel
(S01E01/S01E02) To be honest, I was sold on this one long before we finally got a look at what the Drive team has been working on all this time. I count myself as a Tim Minear fan, so his involvement was enough to get me interested. Add in a cast including Nathan Fillion (Firefly), Melanie Lynskey (Two And A Half Men), Kevin Alejandro (Sleeper Cell), Kristin Lehman (Tilt), Dylan Baker (The Book Of Daniel), and Taryn Manning (Hustle & Flow), and you really have something.
Well, they say nothing lasts forever, and they were right. NBC's The Book of Daniel has been cancelled, effective immediately. The Friday 10 pm slot will be occupied this week by a rerun of a Law and Order episode. No word yet on what the network will do to permanently fill the slot.
I have mixed feelings on this situation. IMHO, the episodes were filled with way too many subplots and that the writers and producers were more interested in trying to get away with things rather than developing a story. However, I also thought the show could have evolved into something, given more time. Of course, ratings are everything, and this show didn't have them, plain and simple.
I wonder if The Book of Daniel will be "resurrected" on a cable network, a la HBO or Showtime. It might just find a home and a loyal, albeit smaller, audience if that happens.
Best and Worst of 2005
- HBO renews Deadwood for a fourth season.
- The Simpson-Lachey house is put up sale.
- Ratings for the new "Must-See TV" are... meh.
- Martha Stewart loses appeal of conviction.
- Singer Lou Rawls passes away.
- Raul Davila of All My Children dies.
- PGA Award nominees announced.
- The president of Nickelodeon steps down.
- Lorne Michaels is Lindsay Lohan's savior.
- Vincent Pastore sued by former girlfriend.
- Are Sorkin and Schlamme coming back to The West Wing?
- Here's the winner of our Festivus contest.
- Four NBC affiliates refuse to show The Book of Daniel.
- Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards to divorce... this time for real.
- Ted Koppel and former Nightline producer join Discovery Channel.
- Jon Stewart to host the Oscars, where he will try not to be lame.
- SAG Award nominees announced.
- Seacrest... in at E!
- CBS and Viacom split into separate entities.
- Readers try to convince Ryan to watch Stargate and Stargate Atlantis.
- What the hell happened to rabbit ears?
- The new mid-season shows are discussed.
- The Bloggies are coming up. Nominate your favorite entertainment blog. No pressure.
- That Danica McKellar is one smart cookie.
- Alex Trebek needs a humor transplant, as far as I'm concerned.
- Ryan hates when sports announcers have to read promos for "chick shows" (my words, not his).
- Keith's former classmate Scott Grimes is sure making a name for himself.
- The West Virginia mining tragedy left the news channels with their pants down.
- Letterman gave O'Reilly a taste of his own medicine.
- We bitch about shows, but only because we care. OK?
- CSI: "Werewolves"
- The Book of Daniel: "Temptation and Forgiveness"
- Battlestar Galactica: "Resurrection Ship"
- My Name Is Earl: "Barn Burner"
- The Office: "Booze Cruise"
- Project Runway: "The Nicky Hilton Competition"
- Scrubs: "My Right of Passage"
- Scrubs: "My Intern's Eyes"
- Arrested Development: "Save Our Bluths"
- Lots of new stuff tonight. FOX has a new Bernie Mac at 8pm, followed by new eps of Malcolm in the Middle and Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy (ugh).
- ABC has the results show of Dancing With The Stars, followed by new eps of Hope and Faith, In Justice, and 20/20.
- CBS has a new Ghost Whisperer at 8, a new Close To Home, and then a new Numb3rs.
- NBC has two new eps of Most Outrageous Moments at 8, and then the premiere ep of The Book of Daniel at 9.
- There are two repeats of Beauty and the Geek on the WB at 8, while UPN has a new WWE Friday Night Smackdown.
- TNT has Remember The Titans at 8, while AMC has the original Halloween and Bravo has Backdraft.
- Emeril cooks Vietnamese food on a new ep of Emeril Live. It's on Food Network at 8.
- Sci-fi fans rejoice! The new seasons of both Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica start tonight at 8.
- At 9, HGTV has a new Double Take, followed by a new FreeStyle.
- On a new ep of Discovery Channels Egypt Untold, they investigate "The Curse of King Tut."
- Also at 9: Lifetime has The Test of Love, with Roma Downey and William Russ.
- Starz has Jennifer Garner in 13 Going On 30. It's on at 9 too.
- At 10, the Travel Channel has a new Bigfoot ep of Weird Travels.
- Also at 10: GSN has a new Poker Royale: Celebrities vs. Poker Pros. Players include Mimi Rogers, Paul Darden, Kathy Liebert, and Partrick Warburton.
- At 10:30, there's a repeat Dinner For Five, with guests Bonnie Hunt, Jason Bateman, Tracey Morgan, and Jeffrey Tambor joining host Jon Favreau.
- At 11, A&E has a new episode of Random 1, while Showtime has boxing.
This, quite frankly, pisses me off. Who is this guy to decide what shows are right for the town of Terre Haute? Don't his viewers have the right not to watch? Can't they make that decision for themselves? If he wants to protect his town from crap, he should take Joey off the air.
South Beach (Wednesdays, UPN) Two hot, New York City working-class bachelors leave the big city behind to follow one of their girlfriends to South Beach, FL, only to discover that she has a new boyfriend. They get mixed up with the rich and famous in the club scene. After viewing a sneak preview on UPN's website, it looks like a guilty pleasure like The O.C., except with more sex and no high school. Jennifer Lopez is the executive producer and it co-stars Vanessa Williams as a club owner and mother to one of the main characters. South Beach premieres on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 8 pm.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 9 Performance Rankings
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Week 3 Spoilers: Songs and Styles for Latin Night
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Finale Mystery: Charles is A, But Who is Charles?
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'Suicidal Tendencies'
- 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Season 6: Who Should Stay and Who Should Go?
- More From BuddyTV
- House of Cards Boss Beau Willimon Responds to My Biggest (and Pretty Much Only) Gripe About Season 3
- Girl Meets World Finale Video: Riley's First Date Becomes a Public Affair
- TVLine Items: Nashville's Daddy Issues, GoT Actor Meets Super Clyde and More
- CSI's William Petersen Eyes TV Return With Major Manhattan Gig
- General Hospital Anniversary Promo Teases Reveal of Luke's Dark Secret
- More From TVLine
- Nick Jonas on Zayn Malik Leaving One Direction: 'It's a Tough World'
- Kendall Jenner Lands Her Own Calvin Klein Jeans Campaign
- Rihanna Releases New Song 'Bitch Better Have My Money' (After Making Her Fans Really Mad)
- Ed Sheeran Surprises Couple and Becomes the Best Wedding Singer of All Time
- Is Taylor Swift Dating Rita Ora's Ex Calvin Harris? See the Pics!
- More From ET