the cbs evening news
'The New York Times' reports that both NBC and CBS held unsuccessful talks with Couric, who remains a hot property despite disappointing ratings during her tenure at 'The CBS Evening News.'
Rumors that she was close to a deal with ABC have been swirling for weeks, and according to the 'Times' the clincher was when ABC President Anne Sweeney sweetened the deal with the promise of a role in the news division.
For her part, Couric says she is happy with the end result of the protracted negotiations: "It is very gratifying that so many people were willing to meet with me and were interested," she said. "It made me think maybe a show like this could do reasonably well. We'll see."
It wasn't just the consistent third-place finish that prompted Couric to leave; it seemed like she wasn't 100 percent comfortable in the role of network evening news anchor. She likes talking to people, and in the daytime arena she'll be able to excel in the way she did when she was on the 'Today' show for 15 years.
So, it now comes down to who is going to replace Couric at the anchor desk. It doesn't seem like CBS will make the same move it made five years ago when it courted Couric; who knows if they even have $15 million per year to throw around anymore. But there seem to be plenty of internal and external candidates for CBS to consider for the job. After the jump, a quick list possibilities and a chance to take a poll so you can tell us who you'd like to see win the job.
Unfortunately, that progress hasn't included ratings.
Now it seems, according to New York Magazine, that CBS officials have considered buying out Couric's contract, which is up for renewal until next June.
Two quirky little items about The CBS Evening News.
First, veteran anchor Walter Cronkite has actually taped the intro for when Katie Couric takes over from Bob Schieffer in September. Who knows if the intro will even air, and if it does air if it will be a permanent thing on just a one time thing to welcome Couric.
And speaking of Schieffer, when he leaves the anchor desk, he might become a folk singer! He's written a couple of songs (with another CBS Evening News staffer) that are making their way around Nashville.
[via TV Newser]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy
- Downton Abbey Trailer Tees Up Bittersweet Final Season
- Elementary Casts Shohreh Aghdashloo as Papa Holmes' Associate
- Blunt Talk Sneak Peek: Harry Chandler, Reluctant Porn Star?
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Frank Dillane
- More From TVLine
- One Direction's Liam Payne Turns 22! Look Back at 7 of His Hottest Moments
- Kourtney Kardashian & Baby Reign Get 'Serious' in Rare Instagram Photo
- Pippa Middleton Shows Off Her Super Toned Bod While Paddleboarding in St. Barts
- Ben Foster and Robin Wright Call Off Their Engagement Again
- 7 Reasons David and Harper Beckham Make the Cutest Daddy-Daughter Duo Ever
- More From ET