the chevy chase show
Chevy Chase, star of NBC's Community and former star of the late night titanic The Chevy Chase Show on Fox, told The Toronto Sun's Bill Harris at the Television Critics Association press tour that he felt Tonight Show host Conan O'Brien has gotten the short end of the ugly stick, now that Jay Leno has wormed his way back into his old time slot.
He attributed the move to NBC's long standing relationship with Jay and thinks Conan and company will bail ship and head to Fox because, "I think he's too good for The Tonight Show in terms of intellect, and maybe too bad for it because of that, too."
I didn't see a single moment of Chevy Chase's short-lived talk show when it aired, probably because my attention was diverted to the shake ups at more established late night fare such as The Tonight Show and Late Night. Chase's show came along the same time Conan O'Brien was slipping into Letterman's slot on NBC, and as we all know, The Chevy Chase Show never quite gained an audience. I think after you watch a clip (after the jump) of Chase interviewing actress Goldie Hawn, you'll begin to understand why. This four minutes of "interview," awkward dancing, and a gag involving a birthday cake that falls flat in more ways than one culminate into one glaring fact: it takes a special kind of person to helm a late night talk show, and Chevy Chase wasn't it. A shame really, because in the right circumstances the man can be quite funny. Watch if you dare.
Thanks to Josh for hepping us to the clip.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Glee' sneaks a sweet Cory Monteith tribute into Nationals episode 'City of Angels'
- 'Once Upon a Time' first look photos: See the Wicked Witch's Storybrooke alter ego Zelena
- Shantel VanSanten cast in 'Messengers,' aka The CW reunites 'One Tree Hill's' Clay and Quinn (kind of)
- 'Teen Wolf' Season 3, episode 23 promo: 'Someone's about to die' in 'Insatiable'
- Amazon orders 'The After,''Transparent,' more pilots to series: Report
- More From Zap2it