the golden globes
Ricky Gervais will be hosting the awards for the second time and will be joined on-stage at the Jan. 16 ceremony by a bevy of TV and movie stars including Matt Damon, Robert Pattinson and Jennifer Lopez.
The most recent presenters to be Tweeted into the lineup are 'TRON: Legacy' star Garrett Hedlund and Leighton Meester from 'Gossip Girl.'
- We talk about what we usually watch this time of year, whether it's holiday specials or just catching up on shows via DVD,
- The Golden Globes nominations came out last week, and we talk about how they got things (mostly) right,
- Something Danny has some experience with: When should you make like it's the 1990s and actually watch a show in real time to ensure you don't get spoiled (like the Dexter finale)?
- Ask TV Squad, Comment of the Week, our picks of the week, and more!
Run time is 1:11:23
You can listen to the podcast below, or download from here or by subscribing to our RSS podcast feed. It is also available via iTunes. Feel free to leave us feedback in the comments or drop us a line at tvsquadpodcast [at] gmail [dot] com.
As usual, the music at the beginning and end of the podcast is "Life" by Justin Trawick. Note that we recorded the podcast last week, so my pick of the week -- Cowboys vs. Saints -- has already happened.
To some this is simply a symptom of the decline of interest in daytime dramas, which dominate the awards. If you check out my post from last year's show, my assessment is not that the broadcast is the problem, but rather it's the nominations. There are too many repeat winners, too many actors who are overlooked in the nominating process, and too much sameness. The Daytime Emmys problem starts with the awards, not the show.
Still, what about the foreseeable future and the 2009 awards -- will they be shown on TV?
They also have a gallery of television's surprises and snubs. The number-one snub by the Golden Globes? The Sopranos. Do award shows love to hate The Sopranos? (They didn't used to if I remember correctly.) Among the actors snubbed was James Spader of Boston Legal. But he has an Emmy (or several Emmys) already, so I'm not too defensive about that one. My favorite surprises? Pushing Daisies and its stars: Lee Pace and Anna Friel. They are my new favorite quirky television couple.
Who or what would you have liked to see nominated by the Globes?
Down to the nitty gritty. Sure, supporting actors supplement a show and often times turn in performances that trump the leads. Usually, though, it's the leading man (or woman) that carries a show for the long haul. You know an award means something when it's either handed out right away at the ceremony (so you miss it before you tune in) or it's saved right until near the end so that you have to sit through all the other awards you don't care about to get to it. You know it's important if you're willing to let your butt go numb from sitting too long to see who wins. The best actor in a television drama is one of those awards.
This year's competition isn't as tight as I think it could have been. First off, I'm appalled that Michael Chiklis didn't get a nom for his portrayal of Vic Mackey in the latest season of The Shield. It was hands down his best performance since the first season. Likewise, I'm very surprised that no one from The Wire received a nomination. No one on that show has ever received an acting nom for a Golden Globe (or an Emmy). If there was a season for it, this past one was it. What we did get was a mix of veteran actors from old shows and new. Some have won. Some have only been nominated. Read on for my thoughts and see if you agree.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments of Emma and Regina's Road Trip From 'Lily'
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- Bruce Jenner's Docuseries Gets Premiere Date, 'Kardashians' Stars Show Support
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- More From BuddyTV
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo: I'm 'Excited' for Meredith's Life After Derek
- The Flash Photos: Metahumans Gone Wild! [Spoiler] Versus Reverse-Flash!
- Chicago Fire Scoop: Friday Night Lights Vet to Replace Mills as New Medic
- Ratings: Secrets and Lies Hits Series High, One Week Before Finale
- Vampire Diaries Wedding Photo: First Look at Jo and Alaric's Big Day
- More From TVLine
- Justin Bieber Crashed a High School Prom and the Students Lost Their Minds
- Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed Are Married -- See The Pic!
- Bruce Jenner's Interview Outtakes: 'I'm Trying to Live with Myself'
- Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara Adorably Lip Sync to Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus Songs
- Ellen DeGeneres and Matt Lauer Call a Truce on Their Prank War ...Sorta
- More From ET