I'm sure there are a lot of TV fans out there who really don't know Gleason or his work, or if they do know it, it's from his work on The Honeymooners. They don't remember the other TV shows he had (which aren't usually shown anymore) or his work in films like The Hustler, Gigot, and Requiem For A Heavyweight (OK, maybe they're familiar with Smokey and the Bandit). Nor are they aware of his innovative sitcom filming techniques, using multiple cameras to film the show for videotape.
Today is Jackie Gleason's birthday (he was born in 1916), and there's a new official web site up at JackieGleason.com, and it's quite good. Not only do you get pictures and an in-depth career timeline and forums, there are also various video clips to watch, including Gleason as characters such as Joe The Bartender, The Poor Soul, Rum Dum, and, of course, Ralph Kramden.
YouTube also has some classic Gleason clips. After the jump, Ed Norton trying to teach Ralph how to play golf.
- At 7, USA has more coverage of The U.S. Open.
- At 8, CBS has A Day In The Life Of Television: A Museum of Television and Radio Special, which goes behind the scenes of many shows, including CSI, Everybody Hates Chris, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. It's followed by the CBS Fall Preview.
- NBC has their own Primetime Preview at 8.
- ABC has college football at 8, Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech.
- Hallmark has the new movie Merlin's Apprentice at 8, with Sam Neill.
- Cartoon Network has a new Fantastic Four at 8, followed by a repeat Naruto, a new Naruto, a new Zatch Bell, and a new Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo.
- Also at 8, two good movies: WE has Quick Change, with Bill Murray, and TCM has The Hustler, with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason.
- At 8:30, IFC has The Cooler, with William H. Macy, Maria Bello, and Alec Baldwin.
- At 9, NBC has a new Dateline.
- Lifetime has the new movie Eight Days To Live at 9.
- At 10, TNT has the Busch Series Ameriquest 300 NASCAR race.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Orphan Black Season 2 Premiere Recap: Fishy Business — Plus: Grade the Episode!
- Ratings: Hannibal Rises, Shark Tank and Kitchen Nightmares Slip, Hart of Dixie Steady
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Awkward, Shameless, Crisis, Mindy and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black Returns, a Devious Premiere, Salem and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Jack Gleeson
- More From TVLine