September 4, 2015
the lord of war and thunder
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Items: Castle Meets The O.C., Rob Riggle Gets Fresh and More
- Nashville's Chaley Rose to Return
- Days of Our Lives Photo: Peter Reckell Returns as Bo for NBC Soap's 50th
- More From TVLine
- Rosie O'Donnell's Daughter Chelsea Asks Judge to Be Reunited With the Man She Was Found With
- Move Over, Nicki Minaj! Miley Cyrus Gets Dissed by Another Rapper
- Caitlyn Jenner Reveals If She Ever Misses Being Bruce
- Miranda Lambert Posts Heart-Wrenching Instagram Selfie
- Blue Ivy & Jay Z Dedicate Songs to Beyonce for Her 34th Birthday: See Which Tunes They Picked!
- More From ET