January 28, 2015
the lord of war and thunder
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 5.20 Photos: Hanna Enters a Beauty Pageant
- Best 'Pretty Little Liars' Quotes from 'The Bin of Skin'
- Best 'Flash' Quotes from 'The Sound and the Fury'
- 'Scandal' Interview: Scott Foley Teases What's Next After Olivia's Abduction
- [Video] 'Vampire Diaries' Sneak Peek: Will Liv and Luke Have to Merge?
- More From BuddyTV
- Netflix's Wet Hot American Summer Adds Jon Hamm, Chris Pine & More
- The Good Wife Brings Back Gary Cole for Springtime Story Arc
- Scandal: Shonda Rhimes Teases MIA Olivia's New Direction, Stands By Fitz
- Jane the Virgin Casts Rita Moreno as Rogelio's Glam Mother
- Salem Season 2 Gets Premiere Date — Plus: See an Intense First Look Photo
- More From TVLine
- 6 Male Stars Who Lost a Shocking Amount of Weight
- A Stylish Amal Clooney Goes Back to Work, Rebuffs Fashion Question
- Nick Jonas Gets Candid About His Decision to Lose His Virginity
- GoDaddy Pulls Puppy Super Bowl Ad Following Backlash
- Chrissy Teigen Is Naked and Covered in Milk – But It's Not What You Think
- More From ET