the man show
So on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (weeknights, 12AM ET on ABC), things got a little ... philosophical. "Do you believe that there is a heaven?" Kimmel asked. "If there is one, will you get into it?"
He's had a ton of self-titled shows that never really caught on with a regular audience. He scored the top spot on the American Top Gear that sparked a lot of interesting buzz and then had the rug pulled out from under him. He got his ass handed to him on the world's least macho reality show, Dancing with the Stars. Since The Man Show closed up shop, he's been bounced around the television more than a pair of silicone flesh globes in a Juggy audition.
The final death blow came last week when CBS Radio cancelled his morning radio show and all of their L.A. based talk shows to save some cash. But just as one door closed in his face, another one opened.
Yesterday's show, for instance, pitted a one host in a Mercedes Benz SUV driving from London the the airport versus one host on a super bicycle, another in a speed boat on the Thames, and The Stig -- an anonymous test driver -- making the trek via public transportation. It was pretty funny, especially since the car lost!
I used to be a big fan of the Man Show and I cannot help but think that this is the sort of show that Adam and Jimmy Kimmel would have incessantly mocked when that show as on the air. Mind you, they mocked most anything that wasn't drinking, sports or Juggies. Mostly they mocked themselves.
When a celebrity makes it to shows like Dancing With The Stars, it's a sign that their star has faded. I really hope Carolla surprises me and ends up being a phenomenal dancer, but I think it'll end up being like Jerry Springer's appearance. It's interesting that he's on, but once he's booted from the show his participation will be forgotten.
ABC likes what Jimmy Kimmel has been doing for their late-night schedule. They especially like the fact that, during the 2005-06 season, Jimmy Kimmel Live increased its audience by about 6%, which is pretty decent for a show that airs after midnight. So, to reward the comedian turned talk-show host, the network has renewed Jimmy Kimmel Live for a fifth season. That keeps the former co-host of Comedy Central's The Man Show on the alphabet network through 2008.
According to Andrea Wong, the executive vice-president of alternative programming, specials and late-night at ABC Entertainment (must be a humongous business card), Kimmel represents the future of late night television. She went on to say that Jimmy offers the network great creative strength, which is shown in his growing audience. This is most likely the opposite of what ABC executives thought when the show aired three-and-a-half years ago. During the first few weeks of the show Kimmel allowed the audience to imbibe in alcoholic beverages, which caused a bit of a panic at the network.
In addition to the renewal, Jimmy Kimmel Live will get its own one-hour primetime special this fall called Jimmy Kimmel Live's All-Star Salute to Jimmy Kimmel Live!. Scheduled to air at 10 p.m. on September 13th, the special will include show highlights, comedy sketches, and musical guests.
I wonder if we'll see any cameos from bigwigs in the comedy world? Or, at least we should expect to see Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah's boyfriend and Comedy Central alum.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Spoilers: Two Contestants Arrive While Someone Has a Change of Heart
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 10 Power of Veto?
- 'Bones': 10 Memorable Moments at the Jeffersonian
- The Funniest Quotes from ?Big Brother 17? Week 9
- 'The Bachelor' Book Club: Reality Stars Turned Authors
- More From BuddyTV
- Quotes of the Week: Hannibal, Scream, Bachelor in Paradise, Days and More
- Archer Cast on Season 7: Espionage, Giant Animals and... Cocaine Pies?
- Big Bang Theory Season 9: Our Hopes for 'Shamy,' Li'l Wolowitz and More
- Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy
- More From TVLine
- VMAs 2015 Arrivals
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Offer to Help Man Trying to Trade His Rare Yeezy Kicks for a Kidney
- 'Les Miserables' Broadway Star Kyle Jean-Baptiste Dies at 21 After Falling From Fire Escape
- Joe Jonas DJs & Parties with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- 'DWTS' Alum Amy Purdy Marries Longtime Boyfriend Daniel Gale in Beautiful Bohemian Wedding
- More From ET