April 24, 2014
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Keep or Cut: The Shows You Most Want Saved!
- The Killing: Netflix Announces Release Date for Abbreviated Fourth and Final Season
- Mistresses Exclusive: 666 Park Ave Actress Lands Recurring Season 2 Gig
- Ratings: Idol, Modern Family and The 100 Rise
- A&E's Longmire Gets Season 3 Premiere Date
- More From TVLine
- Aaron Carter on Hilary Duff: I Would Sweep Her Off Her Feet
- George Clooney Gets In Heated Altercation In Las Vegas
- Chris Martin Cites 'Challenges' in First Interview Since Split with Gwyneth Paltrow
- Avril Lavigne Responds to Racism Claims Over 'Hello Kitty' Video
- Battle Get Bloody On History's 'Vikings'
- More From ET