August 20, 2014
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 7 Premiere Photos: Jax Gets Out
- 'The Strain' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Episode 2 Photos: Bring on the Silly String
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 4 Photos: The Calm Before the Crazy Storm
- 'Mistresses' Season 2 Finale Photos: Can Daniel Keep April and Lucy Safe?
- More From BuddyTV
- Post Mortem: Suits Boss on Louis' Big Discovery, Mike/Rachel's Future
- Castle's Derrick Storm Novels Being Developed Into New ABC Series
- The CW's iZombie Recasts Its Mother
- The Middle Braces for Richard Kind as Sue's Orthodontist
- AHS: Freak Show Sets October Premiere — Plus: New Plot Details!
- More From TVLine