December 18, 2014
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Funniest Episodes of 'Supernatural,' Part 2
- Top 10 Moments from 'Survivor: San Juan Del Sur'
- [Video] 'Orphan Black' Season 3 Premiere Date Set: The Clones Go to 'War' in April
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Pepper Finds a New Home
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' Finale Recap: Who Won Season 29?
- More From BuddyTV
- New Girl Casts Nasim Pedrad as Winston's Training Officer
- Once Upon a Time Scoop: Eion Bailey to Return as 'Pinocchio' in Season 4
- Vampire Diaries: 24's Annie Wersching Booked for 'Caustic' Recurring Role
- TVLine Items: Girls Parents Cast, Sarah Silverman's HBO Pilot and More
- Kiefer Sutherland on Doing More 24: 'I Don't See Myself Going Back to It'
- More From TVLine
- Kris and Bruce Jenner's Divorce Is Finalized
- J.K. Rowling Says There Were Gay & Jewish Students at Hogwarts (We Just Never Saw Them)
- Jessica Chastain on Hollywood's Big Woman Problem: I Was Just 'Lucky'
- Why the 'Serial' Finale Was the Best Possible Finale
- 7 Country Stars Whose Lives Mirrored the Music in 2014
- More From ET