October 31, 2014
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from 'An Innocent Man'
- 'Bachelor' Roundup: No TV Wedding for Chris and Des, Juan Pablo's Odd Message for Nikki and More
- 'Scandal' Episode 4.8 Photos: Olivia in White
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.7 Photos: Amelia's Addiction Causes Problems
- 'Gotham' Episode 8 Photos: Bruce Goes Back to School and Finds a New Friend
- More From BuddyTV
- Check Out Jane Fonda as Mr. Burns' New Girlfriend on 'The Simpsons'
- Tori Spelling Breaks Down After Seeing Her Ex-Husband
- Child Services Investigating Honey Boo Boo's Family, Grandmother Says
- Honey Boo Boo's Sister Anna Cardwell Tells ET: 'He's a Child Molester, Mama'
- 'The Talk' Cast Looks Unrecognizable in Their Halloween Costumes
- More From ET