April 20, 2015
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time' Episode 4.20 Photos: Emma and Regina Track Down Maleficent's Daughter
- 'The Voice' Live Blog: The Top 10 Perform
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Spring Break and the Team Dances
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.20 Photos: Castiel Helps the Novaks
- 'Gotham' Recap: The Ogre Targets Barbara
- More From BuddyTV
- Wiz Khalifa & Amber Rose's Son Adorably Sings Dad's Hit Songs!
- William Shatner Remembers Leonard Nimoy: 'I Never Had a Friend Like That'
- Randy Travis Marries Fiancée 2 Years After Stroke
- Did Drake Just Congratulate Nicki Minaj on Her Engagement?
- From the Battlefield to the Ballroom: Noah Galloway's Inspirational Journey to 'DWTS'
- More From ET