October 1, 2014
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- A to Z Star Cristin Milioti Talks Hitting the Rom-Com Jackpot (Again) — Plus: Why HIMYM's Ending Was 'Brave'
- Gilmore Girls on Netflix: 25 Must-Watch Episodes (And 7 You Can Skip)
- Red Band's Dave Annable on Hot Doc's Messy Love Life, Clooney-esque Hair
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Recruits White Collar Vet Tim DeKay to Play Ward's [Spoiler]
- FX Orders Pariah Pilot From It's Always Sunny Scribes, Starring Comic Bill Burr
- More From TVLine
- 'Twilight' Is Returning with New Short Films
- Mindy Kaling and Elmo Dancing Together Will Melt Your Heart
- Listen to the Original Jasmine Sing the 'Aladdin' Theme Song 22 Years Later
- Nick Jonas Flashes His Abs For 'Flaunt' Magazine
- 'Little People Big World' Jeremy and Audrey Roloff Enjoy Romantic Honeymoon
- More From ET