January 28, 2015
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Americans Season 3 Premiere Recap: Nyet Matrix
- Pilots: ABC Orders Flesh and Blood Thriller from Scandal/Grey's Vet
- Post Mortem: Suits Boss Talks Louis' (Unforgivable?) Actions, Donna's Sex Confession and Multiple S-Bombs
- Pilots: CBS Orders Bradley Cooper- Produced Limitless Drama, 2 Comedies
- Post Mortem: The 100 EP, Stars on Bellamy & Lincoln's 'Conflict'— Plus: Who Won't Make It to the City of Light?
- More From TVLine
- 'Empire' Episode 4 Recap: The Good, The Bad, and The Cookie
- Amanda Peet Thought 'Game of Thrones' Was Going to Be a 'Terrible Idea'
- North West Flushed Kanye's Cell Phone Down the Toilet
- 'The 100' Boss Answers 4 of Your Biggest Questions!
- Cobie Smulders and Taran Killam Welcome Second Child
- More From ET