March 7, 2014
the rough patch
by Joel Keller, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:30PM
(S05E07) During most episodes of HIMYM, you tend to forget that this whole show is told from the perspective of Old Ted, who's telling his kids the longest, most boring meet-up story in history of the world. Bob Saget's narration often just goes in one ear and out the other, like the background music. But there are some episodes where the storytelling aspect of the series is firmly in place, with the exaggerations, changes, and bad memories often associated with this activity.
This was one of those episodes. Was Barney really that fat? Was Robin really that haggard? Did Archisexture really accidentally "fly" into Ted's VCR? Of course not. But those whoppers from Old Ted were what made this episode so entertaining. That and Alan Thicke. But Alan Thicke always makes things entertaining; he's Alan Thicke, for crissakes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi leaving after 1 season?
- TV ratings: 'Big Bang Theory' rises Thursday but 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' fall
- 'Castle' Season 6 photos: Ninjas attack!
- 'Arrow' and 'The Flash': Crossovers are 'always on the table'
- 'Scandal' Season 3, episode 12: Mellie warns 'We Do Not Touch the First Ladies'
- More From Zap2it
- Mad Men Releases Trippy Season 7 Poster
- Ratings: Reign Rises, a Crazy Low, Wonderland Returns Steady But Grey's and Scandal Slide
- Exclusive Beauty and the Beast Winter Finale Sneak Peek: Cat. Gabe. Awkwardness!
- Jessie Sneak Peek: Is Emma Getting a J-O-B…?!
- What to Watch Friday: Undercover Employees, Raising Hope Baby Talk, New Clone Wars & More
- More From TVLine