the showbiz show
David Alan Grier's African-American news satire Chocolate News officially got the big ugly axe from Comedy Central. This has been their third attempt to create a specialty fake news Daily Show such as David Spade's Showbiz Show and the lesser-known Sports Central that never made it past the pilot stage. And it certainly won't be the last.
So Comedy Central, have you lost your damn mind?
When I first saw the email sent to me about this video I thought 'What the hell is John Walsh doing stripping on Comedy Central's The Showbiz Show?' Then, I looked closer and realized it wasn't America's Most Wanted host John Walsh, but Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh. Frankly, I think a stripping John Walsh may have been interesting.
However, Kate's appearance on the David Spade program is just as intriguing. In this unedited clip you'll see after the jump (You can view a shorter version of the clip on AOL's Top 5 Television page) Kate talks to David about her placement in Maxim's Hot 100 List (she placed 52) and strikes a chord for women's rights as she lambastes the entire random numbering system. At the end of the interview she decides to show the viewing public why she should be higher on the list than she is.
Hey, I say good for Kate for playing along with David on the show. I think there are plenty of actresses on the Hot 100 List who would be too stuck up to do what she does on the video. If anyone deserved a spin-off from Grey's it was her.
While I love all of the stations and choices we have now, I sometimes wish we could go back to just having a handful of channels to choose from. It was so much easier back then: shows started in September and ended in May, and the summer was for reruns, specials, and going outside. But now it's hard to keep track of it all. We have 300 networks and 1000 shows that start, well, basically anytime they want to.
Like The Showbiz Show. The Comedy Central celeb/gossip/news satire hosted by David Spade returns on March 15. Head on over to TV Filter to check out some video with Spade talking about Britney Spears.
Also note that not only is this show returning for its third season, Spade also has a Top 20 show over on CBS, Rules of Engagement. Not a good time to be a David Spade hater. I've always liked the guy. (And if you didn't see it, he live blogged the Oscars last night.)
Snarky McSarcasm, or as we call him, David Spade, is returning with a third season of The Showbiz Show Thursday, March 15 at 10:30pm.
I have to ask you, TV Squad readers, does anyone still watch this show? I watched the first couple episodes and caught a few of the later ones, but ultimately I just can't bring myself to watch another show that pokes fun at celebrity excess. We've become so saturated with celebrity news and gossip that I can't stand to hear about it, even if the point of the show is to make fun of our obsession with it.
Also, it's difficult for me to get past the feeling that Spade doesn't seem that into what he's doing. When he did his "Hollywood Minute" segment on Saturday Night Live, that detachment worked to his benefit. His comical disdain for all things Hollywood is what made that segment so funny, but now that "comical disdain" seems to have grown into genuine bitterness. When I watch him now, I always feel like he wants to be somewhere else, and, consequently, so do I.
David Spade was on that list. He's a funny guy, but never the most talented person in that hoary group of former SNLers. But he's been resourceful and scrappy enough to keep things going for more than 17 years. Which is the long way for me to say that Comedy Central has picked up Spade's The Showbiz Show for a third season, which will begin airing in February. In addition to his cable duties, Spade will have a role in the upcoming CBS mid-season comedy The Rules of Engagement. So, as you see, Spade just keeps on keeping on. I'd make an Energizer Bunny joke here, but it's not 1990, so I'll refrain.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 18 Performance Rankings
- The Final Rose: Kaitlyn and Shawn's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Best 'Pretty Little Liars' Quotes from 'FrAmed'
- Casting Bits: Familiar Faces on 'Fuller House', Chris Browning Joins 'Supergirl' and More
- 'MasterChef' Interview: Prowling the Kitchen with Stephen Lee
- More From BuddyTV
- The CW Eyeing Dark Little Women Adaptation From NCIS Star
- Degrassi's Top 17 Couples, Ranked: Eclare vs. Fimogen and More
- TVLine Items: Supergirl Villain Cast, Finding Carter Return Date and More
- John Legend Replaces Kanye West as Underground's Music Supervisor
- Trevor Noah on His 'Slightly Different' Daily Show and the 'Immense Pressure' to Make Jon Stewart Proud
- More From TVLine
- Calvin Harris Is Nearly Unrecognizable in This Awesome Throwback Photo
- 'Law & Order' Director Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
- Zayn Malik Throws Major Shade at One Direction, Says He Left to Make '#RealMusic'
- 'Once Upon a Time' Cast Laughs About 'Warped' Romantic Relationships in Storybrooke!
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe and Fiance Shawn Booth Just Can't Stop With the Intense PDA
- More From ET