the simple life
Why then would ABC be giving Nicole Richie a new sitcom? I just don't see where she's worthy of a show, let alone that she has the star appeal or talent to carry a situation comedy.
Perhaps ABC has some take on The Simple Life star that I'm missing. She's cute, yes. She's not a complete airhead judging by what I've seen of her on talk shows. But, really, aren't there better actresses -- stars -- who are more viable for a new comedy series? Stars will more talent than celebrity to their credit.
Variety is reporting that the former 'Simple Life' co-star is set to produce and star in a single-camera comedy for ABC, an idea that Richie pitched herself. The untitled show will follow her as a professional woman who is trying to figure out how to juggle her family and career duties. 'Californication' writer Daisy Gardner is set to write the pilot, with 'According to Jim' alum Warren Bell serving as executive producer.
Probably known more for being a tabloid fixture, Richie's new, more settled-down life might mirror her new TV project. She's recently given birth to two children, ducking the dumb-blonde shtick that 'The Simple Life' once projected her as.
The new fall pilots don't excite me very much, what with all of the cops, doctors and lawyers. But I know networks, and original ideas aren't exactly the "in" thing.
So, why can't we design some spin-offs? You know, the networks might go for some ideas based on hit shows, and we can make them a little bit unique, right? Let's add in some elements that excite us to some familiar characters and see if we can't create some new spin-off pilots better than the actual ones.
Not only is Richie planning on producing the show, but she'll be appearing in it as well. Even though she based Chloe Parker on herself, Richie says that she won't necessarily be playing the lead, "I would definitely produce and definitely be in the show, [but] I don't know if I need to be the star of this show." Since production is still in the early stages, the details surrounding the series remain unclear, such as what network it will be on, and whether or not it will be a drama or a comedy.
"The children I have met through my involvement with Children's Hospital have truly touched my heart," Hilton said in a statement. "I am proud to make a donation and lend my name to the fundraising effort to help children who are facing terribly serious illnesses."
Far be it from me to be a cynic in light of such charity, but this is a woman who has lived such a life of debauchery that the gossip rags have their own special section regarding her. I'm not sure what to think.
So what do you folks think? Actual generosity, or publicity stunt? Or maybe a little of both?
Executive producer Josh Schwartz says Nicole Richie is actually quite funny: "Nicole auditioned for the part and was very funny. This role is a great opportunity for her to show off her comedic skills and be diabolically evil and kick some butt."
A roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.
- Jim Hager: The comedian/musician was one of the Hager Twins from the TV show Hee Haw. He appeared in other TV shows as well, including The Bionic Woman, and received a TV Land Award last year for his work on Hee Haw. He died after collapsing in a Nashville coffee shop. He was 66.
A day hasn't gone by where we haven't received some sort of tip or email asking us, the TV Squad, how to get on [insert reality show here]. Unfortunately no, Simon Cowell does not work for us, and Donald Trump isn't my BFF, so we really can't help all that much.
The folks at RealityWanted.com often send us a list of new and existing reality shows that are looking for new, er, talent, and they've given us permission to make mention of them here. We'll try to make this a regular feature as often as we get a new list.
This time we have The Bachelor, The Pick Up Artist, Teen Dream and other new shows.
I just got back from doing my weekly grocery shopping. It took me almost an hour and a half because of the people at the grocery store and the traffic. That's about the amount of time that Nicole Richie stayed in jail today.
The official time was 82 minutes. Seems that's all the time she had to do, apparently. Although she was sentenced to 96 hours in jail but got out rather, um, quickly, "based on her sentence and federal guidelines." Richie was sent to jail for DUI and...well, it's hard to remember what she did and what Paris did and what Lindsay did and what Britney has done.
So what did they do, just give her a tour of the jail and then release her? Did they just strip search her and do her paperwork and then it was time to leave? Did she get a meal or at least a snack in that 82 minutes?
- At 7, NBC has a new Dateline.
- ION (formerly PAX) has the suspense movie Killer Wave at 7.
- At 8, CBS has a new Big Brother.
- The CW has the new reality show Schooled at 8.
- Lifetime has a new Side Order of Life at 8, then a new State of Mind.
- ABC Family has two new episodes of Fallen starting at 8.
- TV Guide Channel has Sci-Fi: Comic-Con Unleashed at 8.
- At 9, Spike has a new Kill Point.
- HGTV has a new Design Star at 9.
- HBO has a new John From Cincinnati at 9, followed by new episodes of Entourage and Flight of the Conchords.
- At 9:30, A&E has a new Gene Simmons' Family Jewels, followed by a new Two Coreys.
- At 10, E! has a new episode of The Simple Life Goes To Camp.
- History Channel has a new Ice Road Truckers at 10.
- Showtime has the season finale of Meadowlands at 10.
- Lifetime has a new Army Wives at 10.
- Also at 10: Comedy Central has a new Mind of Mencia, then a new American Body Shop.
Check your local TV listings for more.
Paris and Nicole, we hardly knew ye.
Actually, we knew ye way too much. But that won't be a problem anymore (at least on a weekly TV show basis). E! has canceled The Simple Life. US Magazine is reporting that producers think that everything happening in the girls' private lives is overshadowing the show. Funny, I would argue that the success of the show is based only on what happened in their private lives. Why else are people watching these two?
A source tells the mag that Nicole was also really hard to work with, saying "Paris was the one willing to do anything. Nicole was the diva."
[via TV Tattle]
E! execs said they had hoped that all the mayhem surrounding her stupid stint in jail would garner interest in the show. One exec thinks that people are more interested in what's going on with Paris Hilton right now, rather than what she's doing on a contrived "reality" show. I'm hoping the real reason is that she has finally outstayed her welcome. Over-saturated the market, if you will.
The low ratings mean that E! is seriously considering not bringing back The Simple Life for a fifth season. Hallelujah!
- At 7, CBS has a new 60 Minutes, then a new Big Brother.
- NBC has a new, two hour Dateline at 7.
- At 9, PBS has a new Mystery!
- USA has a new episode of The 4400 at 9, then a new Dead Zone.
- There's a new Next Food Network Star at 9.
- HBO has a new John From Cincinnati at 9, then new episodes of Entourage and Flight of the Conchords.
- At 10, Lifetime has a new Army Wives.
- History Channel has a new Ice Road Truckers at 10.
- E! has a new Simple Life Goes To Camp at 10.
- Showtime has a new Meadowlands at 10.
- Also at 10: Comedy Central has a new Mind of Mencia, followed by the premiere of American Body Shop.
Check your local TV listings for more.
In case you haven't heard, Paris Hilton gets out of jail today. Expect so much coverage on MSNBC, CNN, and FOX News that you'll want to stick pencils in your eyes. But there are people interested in her release, so here's a quick guide:
L.A. braces itself for her release. Our own TMZ will have non-stop coverage (and will probably break all the news before anyone else). Her car was repossessed while she was in prison (anything to keep her off the roads, I say). You can buy Hilton's trash on ebay. And who was Hilton's final visitor at the prison last night? Jericho star Ashley Scott.
And don't forget she'll be on Larry King Live tomorrow night at 9 to talk about her new post-jail life trying to save orphans and dolphins.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Last Comic Standing' Recap: From Ten To Five
- 'Extant' Recap: Molly Might Have a Way to Beat the Humanichs
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 1 Finale Recap: Elliot Searches For a Missing Tyrell
- 'ANTM' Recap: The Nicest Guy is Sent Home
- 'America's Got Talent' Results Recap: 5 Acts Head to the Finals
- More From BuddyTV
- Mr. Robot Creator Says Finale's Big Reveal 'Is the Heart of Future Seasons,' Names the Scenes That Wowed Him
- Paula Deen? Kim Zolciak? A 'Vine Star'?! Does DWTS Need a Time-Out?
- Vampire Diaries' Candice King Teases 'Badass' Caroline in Season 7, Talks 'Funny' Steroline Baby Theories
- Ron Perlman Talks Hand of God's Take on Faith, Sons of Anarchy Series Finale: 'When I Was Done, I Was Done'
- Grey's Anatomy Boss Shonda Rhimes Reveals Reason for That McDreamy-Fueled One-Year Time Jump
- More From TVLine
- Danica Dillon Shares Explicit New Allegations of Violent Sex With Josh Duggar
- 7 'Tonight Show' Moments That Made Us Love Justin Bieber All Over Again
- Judge Joe Brown on 5-Day Prison Sentence: It's Like a 'Slave Warehouse'
- Inside 'Little Family' Stars Terra & Joe's Wedding
- Suspected 'Dance Moms' Stalker Reportedly Arrested for Sending 'Inappropriate' Packages to Show's Young Stars
- More From ET