Everybody has one, the show that was canceled too soon. You fall in love with a series, but the general public doesn't and then the giant axe comes-a-fallin'. You write to the network, you send nuts, candy bars, photos, whatever, you start an online petition and everything prove futile.
But, shows have beat cancellation years after they were buried! 'Futurama' recently rose from the dead, so why can't our favorite canceled series also get a reprieve?
We named the ones we miss the most and why, plus a pitch to get them back (some more serious than others).
One day in 2001, I was having lunch with a friend and we were talking about the new fall shows. We discussed shows that we thought weren't going to make it as well as shows we really enjoyed. Towards the end of the meal we started to discuss The Tick and how we were both excited to see the live version that was premiering later in the season. I remember turning to my friend and saying, "Isn't there another show premiering on FOX later in the season?" We couldn't think of which show it was and so went back to discussing The Tick.
The show we were trying to think of was The Bernie Mac Show and five years after The Tick had come and gone Bernie's show had become one of the funniest family sitcoms on television.
Seriously though, while there were some good elements in their list, and I absolutely agree with their number one choice, there were some real problems and omissions as well. Wonderfalls ranked way too high and Homeboys in Outer Space didn't even make the list? Outrageous! So I've taken it upon myself to make my own list of The Top 10 Sci Fi Short-Lived Sci-Fi Shows That Weren't Pulitzer Worthy But Went Great With Popcorn. And I intentionally didn't include any of the shows on their list, because I'm acting like a spoiled brat and I don't want to play with their toys.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- 8 Simple Rules... - Season 1
- The Adventures of Jim Bowie - Complete Series
- Charlie Lola - Vol. 5
- Daniel Boone - Season 5
- Darkwing Duck - Vol. 2
- The Dresden Files - Season 1
- Full House - Season 7
- The Hills - Season 2
- Home Improvement - Season 7
- Inside The Actor's Studio - Barbra Streisand
- The Muppet Show - Season 2
- Rome - Season 2
- Roseanne - Season 8
- Saved By The Bell - Hawaiian Style and Wedding in Las Vegas movies
- The Simpsons - Season 10
- Soul Food - Season 2
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody - Vol. 2
- Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show - Complete Series
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Season 5
- That Girl - Season 3
- The Tick - Season 2
There are also some super-special panels from The Tick comic and a script from Angel, both signed by Ben Edlund. Oh, and here's a Vanna White doll. I'm not quite sure what's going on with that.
[via the Venture Bros. LJ community]
I guess I really should have known. A few months ago, Jackson Publick posted in his blog that the ninth episode's script was his least favorite. I see why. It didn't feel like a Venture script. The jokes were relatively dull (and really dated, in some cases), the plot was a little too much like a real boy adventurers' story, and we re-connected with an old character that we really didn't care about (I didn't care for him, anyway).
- The Andy Griffith Show - Season 7
- Arrested Development - Season 3
- Astroboy - Ultra Edition, Set 2
- The Awful Truth - The Best of The Awful Truth
- Criss Angel Mindfreak - Halloween
- Darkwing Duck - Volume 1
- Desperate Housewives - Season 2
- Driven To Win - Season 1
- Flavor of Love - Season 1
- Monty Python's Flying Circus - Personal Best
- Mr. Bean - Best Of
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Collection: Volume 10
- Nip/Tuck - Season 3
- Roseanne - Halloween
- South Park - Season 8
- Survivor: Palau
- Tale Spin - Volume 1
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Volume 5
- The Tick - Season 1
- Will and Grace - Season 5
I know, I know, this news is a bit old, but stuff slips by sometimes and you have to catch it later. In this case it was TV Shows On DVD's unofficial annoucement back in January that The Tick, the 1994 animated series based on Ben Edlund's comic book, will be coming out on DVD this year. Disney, who owns the rights, have not made an official annoucement, so we'll have to trust TVSODVD's super secret inside sources.
I hate to admit it, but The Tick didn't really impress me all that much, at least not at first. I had been a huge fan of the comic books long before the animated series came out, and, perhaps unfairly, I had a hard time not comparing it to the comics. Eventually I stopped making that unfair comparison and began to enjoy the show on its own merit. Still, I think I prefer the comics more. I suppose some people felt the same way when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles got animated. It's hard to let go sometimes, but you learn.
Special thanks to vaccenyl, who mentioned this over on my Animaniacs post.
Here's a fun game to entertain yourself at home. Take any random object around the house and imagine its molecules combined with that of a man. Then speak in a deep announcer voice and make up a TV show about it. For example:
He's half man, half spatula. Despite the cruel world that shuns him he fights a battle against the forces of evil in his underwater helicopter. He is Spatula Man.
For this edition of The Five we're talkin' about our favorite hybrids. Here's five of mine. As always, share some of your own.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Following' Interview: EP Alexi Hawley Teases You Won't Know Where the Danger is Coming From This Season
- Should 'Sleepy Hollow' Be Renewed for Season 3?
- 4 Reasons to Watch 'The Following' Season 3
- 'Kardashians' Star Khloe Kardashian and 'RHOA' Star NeNe Leakes Rumored to Join 'Fashion Police'
- [Video] 'The Bachelor' Preview: Women Tell All
- More From BuddyTV
- The Following's Kevin Bacon & Cast Tease a Lovestruck Ryan, Vengeful Mike and Quirky New Killers
- Photos: Meet Daredevil's Crime Kingpin
- Outlander Video: How Caitriona Balfe Nabbed Her Role With One Line
- Last Man on Earth: Will Forte Weighs In on That Cameo You Might've Missed
- Battle Creek: Does This Procedural Boast CBS' Better Odd Couple?
- More From TVLine
- Kelly Clarkson: 'I Don't Care If My Children Are Gay'
- Bill Murray and Rick Ross Get In the Studio Together
- Bitter Apple: Bethenny Frankel Is Back in New ‘Real Housewives of New York' Trailer
- Too Cute! Chris Hemsworth Does Beach Yoga with Daughter India
- Is Carly Rae Jepsen's 'I Really Like You' the New 'Call Me Maybe'?
- More From ET