the wild wild west
The 'Battlestar Galactica' reboot was successful because they completely re-imagined the series -- and let's face it, the original wasn't that hot to begin with. 'The Bionic Woman' redo died a quick and painful death.
Now comes word that 'Battlestar Galactica' producer Ron Moore is going to do a new version of 'The Wild, Wild West' for CBS. This both thrills and terrifies me to my very core.
According to Deadline Hollywood, Shankar and Moore will write and executive produce the remake. The remake will follow two Secret Service Agents as investigate crimes in a post-Civil War America.
CBS struck ratings gold with a remake of 'Hawaii Five-0' and looks to be trying to do the same with 'Wild Wild West.'
In other TV news ...
• 'American Idol' runner-up Crystal Bowersox will release her new album Dec. 14. 'Farmer's Daughter' will feature 12 tracks including a cover of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth." [E! Online]
• 'Glee' might not do a tribute episode in its post-Super Bowl slot. After mediocre reviews to its last themed episodes, producers are reportedly mulling over doing a normal episode with songs from various artists. [Movieline]
• 'Celebrity Apprentice' contestant and rapper Lil Jon has put his unique stamp on the iconic 'Sesame Street' theme. Warning, it's pretty profane, but still enjoyable. Thanks to Vulture for the find. Check it out below.
In celebration of the day (sadly, it's not a national holiday), we drew up a list of some of our favorite hackers, forensics specialists, mad scientists, and gadget-wielding experts. They have all, in their own heroically geeky way, saved the day from serial killers, demons, vampires, global conspiracies, rogue spies or just boring old computer meltdowns.
Read on for our list of the smartest, savviest (and occasionally ass-kicking) techies to ever grace the airwaves. Don't see your favorite techie listed? Tell us your own!
I know what you're thinking. Michael Garrison already did that with The Wild Wild West. But you see-- I'm not going to do all that again. Actually, the description leaves things a little vague, so I've taken the liberty of filling in the blanks with only my sleep-deprived mind and a healthy dosage of Diet Dr. Pepper to guide me.
Rosenbaum's official descriptions include "a gunslinger caught between worlds" and a nod to Planet of the Apes. Post-apocalyptic? They're adapting Stephen Kings' The Dark Tower?! Hardly. I do suspect a future time when we've reverted back to the trappings of the Old West. Either that, or a parallel world. I don't really care, I've been itching for a good western since Deadwood had to go.
Viewers were also into grittier fare like realistic cop dramas ('Ironside,' 'Adam-12') and war action series ('12 O'Clock High,' 'Combat!'), though there was plenty of classic sitcom fun on the airwaves, too, from 'The Andy Griffith Show' and 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' to 'Get Smart' and 'My Three Sons.'
Take a look at our picks of the decade's best and let us know if we got it right. -- By Kimberly Potts
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood - Season 1
- Battlestar Galactica - Season 3
- Bionic Woman (new) - Vol. 1
- Bozo's Big Top - Best of Bozo: Vol. 1
- Dennis The Menace - Trouble Trouble Everywhere
- Greek - Chapter 1
- Justice League - New Frontier: Special Edition
- Married...With Children - Season 8
- McHale's Navy - Season 3
- The Pebbles and Bamm Bamm Show - Complete Series
- A Pup Named Scooby-Doo - Season 1
- The Real McCoys - Best Of: Vol. 1
- Route 66 - Super Series Vol. 1
- Steve Canyon - Special Edition
- The Untouchables - Season 2, Vol. 1
- The Wild, Wild West - Season 4
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow:
- The Batman - Season 4
- Bozo's Big Top - Collection 2
- BraveStarr - Vol. 1
- CSI - Season 7
- The Care Bears - 25 Years of Caring
- Chappelle's Show - Series Collection
- Charles in Charge - Season 2
- The Doris Day Show - Season 5 and Doris Day Today
- Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist - Complete Series
- Inside the Actor's Studio - Johnny Depp
- Little Britain - Abroad and Complete Collection
- Love, American Style - Season 1, Vol. 1
- Man with a Camera - Complete Collection
- Mission: Impossible - Season 3
- The Naked Brothers Band - Battle of the Bands
- Queer As Folk - Complete Series
- Star Trek - Season 1 HD
- Tales of Tomorrow - Vol. 3
- Teen Titans - Season 4
- The Tudors - Season 1 (Canada)
- The Wild, Wild West - Season 3
Welcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
A couple of other bloggers have made lists concerning movies that have been made into TV shows and vice versa. There's The Top 10 Movies Based on TV Shows, The Top 5 Shows That are Better than the Movie, Four Small Screen to Big Screen Flops and AOL's own list. Here is my effort. Enjoy.
1. The Avengers: I tried to sit through this move twice and couldn't do it either time. If anyone can explain the plot to me, they can have my job. This movie is the exact opposite of the TV show. Boring, unoriginal, ignorant and unpleasant to watch.
2. Lost in Space: After the cameos by the surviving original cast members, stop watching. Since when is Dr. smith a psycho? I know Heather Graham is hot, but why is Don West more interested in getting laid than getting home? And what is up with the stupid CGI alien? I'd rather see a monkey with Spock ears.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor' Week 5 Photos: A Hot Air Balloon Date
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.14 Photos: Stefan and Caroline Get Closer
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from 'Enough is Enough'
- [Video] 'American Idol' One Singer to Watch: Maddy Hudson Performs a Beyonce Song with Emotion
- 'Scandal' Interview: Darby Stanchfield on Abby's Upcoming 'Gladiator Moments'
- More From BuddyTV
- MTV Movie Awards: Amy Schumer Scars Anna Kendrick in First Promo
- Jessica Jones' BFF Is a Real Hellcat: Rachael Taylor Cast as 'Patsy' Walker
- Pilot News: NBC Orders Adaptation of Andy Samberg's Cuckoo Comedy
- 12 Monkeys: Originals Actor Previews His 'Scary,''Delicious' Rabble-Rouser, Plus: Cole Jumps Into an Outbreak
- Pilot Season '15: Scoop on This Fall's (Possible) New Shows, Who's In Them
- More From TVLine
- From Leonardo DiCaprio to Brad Pitt: 6 Actors Who Do the Same Thing in Every Movie
- EXCLUSIVE 'Scandal' Secrets: Get Ready For the 'Biggest Surprise' in the Show's History!
- Kanye West Sweetly Serenades North West In 'Only One' Video
- Vine Star Asks Selena Gomez to Prom in Epic Dance Video
- 7 Most Gut-Wrenching Moments from 'Parenthood' That Made You Ugly Cry
- More From ET