Chicago Tribune's Maureen Ryan reported that while the decision has yet to be made, and won't be made for a few more weeks, Shawn Ryan, The Unit's executive producer, is "pretty optimistic." He and his staff of writers have presented an outline for the fourth season explaining where the storylines will be going and how it'll play out. CBS's reaction was very positive. Ryan said things couldn't have gone any better. That's great news for the fans of The Unit who feel like they've been twisting in the wind waiting for word about the show.
Mike Birbiglia's Secret Public Journal, based on his stand up comedy, includes Blanchard (7th Heaven) as his significant other, an aspiring doctor and the sensible one of the couple. Phil Hendrie, best known as a popular radio talker but was also on The Unit in a supporting role, has been cast as Mike's abrasive doctor. But perhaps the best news for this CBS project is adding Bob O to the company as Mike's big brother. In everything I've ever seen him do, Odenkirk is a riot. He's a two-time Emmy winner for his comedy writing.
Fans of Shark may need to get more militant if they want to keep the show on the air. In a recent story we did about CBS renewals, there was fervent outcries for bringing back Moonlight and The Unit, even Cane. Out of 40 comments, only two came to Shark's defense. It may be a small sample, but still...
...Four TV shows you should be watching
Let's not beat around the bush -- television is a humongous, bloated wasteland. Granted, it's a humongous, bloated wasteland that I adore and worship any chance I get, but it is a humongous, bloated wasteland nonetheless. Due to the copious amount of crap that is placed on the airwaves many good shows are pushed aside, waiting for an unknowing viewer to tune into them and get hooked. Sometimes, these shows grab a few people, develop a following, and become a hit. Other times, they disappear down the television toilet, never to be seen again.
So, in order to save them from the Great Flush, here are four (plus a few more) shows that you should be watching.
Over the weekend, I had the chance to watch the first two episodes of the season: "Pandemonium, Parts One and Two." The first part will air tomorrow, while the other will air on October 2.
Small spoilers ahead!
Returning: The Amazing Race, Cold Case, 60 Minutes, How I Met Your Mother, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Two and a Half Men, Rules of Engagement, CSI: Miami, NCIS, The Unit, Criminal Minds, CSI: NY, Survivor, CSI, Shark, Without A Trace, Ghost Whisperer, Numb3rs, 48 Hours Mystery.
New: Viva Laughlin, Swingtown, Moonlight, Cane, Big Bang Theory, Power of 10, Kid Nation
Out: King of Queens, Jericho, The Class, Close To Home
Moving: Without A Trace moves back to Thursday at 10. Shark heads to Sunday at 10.
American Idol (8PM, Fox)
Just when you think 'American Idol' can't get any bigger, it does. The first season averaged 12.7 million viewers; last season averaged over 30 million. A whopping 36 million watched Taylor Hicks triumph over Katharine McPhee in the finale. Some people are predicting a drop this year, but most of 'em are envious executives at other networks. 'Idol' is a cultural juggernaut. Deal with it.
Check out AOL Television's extensive coverage of 'Idol.'
Is anybody watching The Unit? Has it improved over last season?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Reign' Episode 2.5 Photos: Will Greer Get Married?
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 21 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'Black Hole Sun'
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Top Looks of 'Finale, Part 2'
- 'The 100' Episode 2.2 Photos: Octavia Confronts the Grounders
- [Video] 'Supernatural' Preview: Dean Gets Back to the Family Business
- More From BuddyTV
- The Originals Adds Everwood Alumna Debra Mooney as Werewolf Matriarch
- Damian Lewis, Paul Giamatti to Lead Showtime Drama Pilot Billions
- Scorpion Sneak Peek: NCIS: LA's Hetty Helps Walter's Team Clean Up Nice
- TVLine Items: Jim Parsons Voicing Elf, Haven's WWE Reunion and More
- Marvel's Agent Carter Adds Nikita Alum
- More From TVLine
- Nick Jonas Throws Shade at Justin Bieber During 'Guess the Bulge'
- Casper Smart: The Mastermind Behind Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' On Life After JLo
- Jennifer Garner Speaks Out Against Sexism in Hollywood
- Usher Admits: 'I'm Not Happy' With Justin Bieber's Choices
- Kelly Osbourne Gets Tattoo In Memory of Joan Rivers
- More From ET