Tomorrow evening at 9 pm HBO will air Thin, a documentary directed by famous still photographer Lauren Greenfield that looks at the lives of four women trying to overcome eating disorders at the Renfrew Center in Florida, where she previously shot photographs. Greenfield has written about anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders before, once for a 1997 piece for Time. This is her first time directing.
Greenfield stayed at the center for six months in order to obtain access to the patients, their families, and the staff. The documentary will examine not only the women who have improved with the help of the center, but also those who did not, and one who was unable to continue when it was found out her insurance would not pay for her treatment. You can see a trailer for the documentary here.
I'd love to see more documentaries like this to balance out the onslaught of media images that make pencil-thin appear to be the norm, when anyone with optic nerves knows that's not the case. Not to say that overweight men aren't also stigmatized, but it's especially true for younger women and girls.
Rumors have been circulating for many years that the only way William Shatner could maintain the physique of Captain James T. Kirk was to wear a corset under his uniform. Well, that's not true, claims Shatner. The actor claims the seed of this particular rumor actually began when he was working on TJ Hooker. During a break in filming he went horseback riding and wound up with a broken rib. An assistant was sent to fetch a bandage for the injured Shatner, and somehow the rumor mill eventually turned "bandage" into "girdle."
Okay, I don't believe Shatner ever wore a corset/girdle on Star Trek, but his explanation seems a little suspicious. Is he claiming this rumor didn't exist until long after Star Trek went off the air? Do any of you older readers remember hearing this rumor pre-TJ Hooker?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ABC Eyes Amy Schumer as Next 'Bachelorette'
- 'Aquarius' Review: A Fascinating Look Inside Charles Manson's Twisted World
- 'Bones' Teasers: 7 Good Things to Watch for in "The Woman in the Whirlpool"
- 'Aquarius' Official Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'MasterChef': Surprise! Your Kitchen Comes Back to Haunt You
- More From BuddyTV
- CBS' Briefcase Premiere: Did We Just See the Only 'Acceptable' Outcome?
- Smash's Broadway Event Expands! Who's Joining Ellis (!) in Bombshell?
- Golan the Insatiable Sneak Peek: Rob Riggle, Aubrey Plaza Preview Their Twisted Monster-Child Friendship
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- More From TVLine
- Natalie Portman Recalls 'Heartbreak' and 'Difficult Times' at Harvard
- Kanye and North West Virtually Unrecognizable in Kim Kardashian's Game
- Michael King, Man Behind Oprah and Dr. Phil's Shows, Dies at 66
- Hollywood's Sexiest Shirtless Men March 2014
- Chris Pratt Recites the Pledge of Allegiance With His Son and It's the Best Thing You'll See All Day!
- More From ET