Finally, a DVD release that I'm definitely, definitely going to buy: the new MST3K set! I'm also looking at the new Peanuts set because I don't have a complete collection of their holiday specials, but there have been a few of these collections released, so I'll have to figure out which one is the best one.
- Callan - Set 1
- Doctor Who - The Rescue/The Romans and Attack of the Cybermen
- Kath and Kim - Season 1
Going into this, I didn't have high hopes for Trauma, and while I wanted to like Community, I had a bad feeling that it wasn't going to be the vehicle that would change Joel McHale from cute host of a basic cable show to primetime star. Now, after seeing both of them, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by one.
He's best known for his role as Police Chief Martin Brody in the first two Jaws films, but Roy Scheider had a long television career as well.
He played Captain Nathan Bridger on Seaquest DSV in the mid-90s, and also had a regular role on Third Watch. His other TV appearances included spots on Law and Order: CI, Cannon, Saturday Night Live, Coronet Blue, Love of Life, The Edge of Night, and the TV movie Assignment: Munich. His other film roles include All That Jazz (a role that got him a Best Actor Oscar), The French Connection (an Oscar nomination), Klute, Marathon Man, Sorcerer, The Men's Club, Naked Lunch, The Peacekeeper, The Rainmaker, and two movies that are still in production, Dark Honeymoon and Iron Cross.
He died on Sunday in Little Rock, AR at age 75.
Just head on over to the posts linked above, read through the rules and make the applicable comment there (not here!) We'll notify the winners next week.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Collection 2
- Beauty and the Beast - Season 3
- Charlie and Lola - Vol. 7
- Dirty Jobs - Collection 2
- The Drak Pack - Complete Series
- The Jerry Springer Show: Undressed, Unleashed and Uncensored - Vol. 1, 2, and 3
- McLeod's Daughters - Season 5
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Vol. 10.2
- Perfect Strangers - Seasons 1 and 2
- Route 66 - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Slings and Arrows - Complete Collection
- Soul Food - Season 3
- Third Watch - Season 1
- The Whitest Kids You Know - Season 1
To enter, simply leave a comment below before 5:00PM Eastern, Friday, February 8, simply telling us why you'd like to own this set. As always, we'll randomly choose three winners amongst the eligible entries. Some other details:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below stating why you'd like to own Third Watch season one on DVD.
- The comment must be left before February 8, 2008 at 5:00PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Three winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Three winners will receive a copy of Third Watch season one on DVD (valued at $59.98).
In my latest New TV on DVD post the other night, some readers were wondering when the NBC show Third Watch was going to be released on DVD. Well, the home entertainment gods (or the folks at Warner Brothers) must have heard your prayers, because the first season set is coming on February 5!
The set will be six DVDs total, and wil include all 22 episodes from the first season, features, unaired scenes, and a gag reel.
Let's begin this week's column with another letter from a reader in need.
Howard Kotarski writes ...
"Hi, I am a transplanted NYer who now lives in Tx. I moved in 79, and was a NYPD officer until the layoffs, What I would like to know is what Fire House, and where is it located that Rescue Me is filmed at. It all looks real, or is it a closed Station used for Movies and TV. Also could you advise me the same for the old 3rd watch TV series, for both the PD and FD that were across the street from each othe. I presently am a Deputy Sheriff in Ft. Worth Tx, and still in love with NY. Thank you, Howard K"
To be fair, that 16.7 months number is skewed a little bit by the inclusion of Antiques Roadshow which wrecked the curve with an 11 year delay in being broadcast. Still, there are many more popular shows that still have long delays once they leave their country of origin. Some of the average delays listed are: CSI: NY (9.3 months), Grey's Anatomy (4.9 months), Heroes (4.2 months), House (5 months), and Third Watch (22.1 months).
I wrote about this show way back in December when it was first brought to the table and I hadn't heard anything since, but it appears that the wheels are still turning. Nine Lives (at least that was the tentative title, may have changed by now) was picked up by ABC in December but there was no one attached to it except the show's creator Hank Steinberg (he's behind Without a Trace).
However, it looks like we won't be seeing Audrey Raines in the sixth season of 24 because Kim Raver has signed on to join Nine Lives. The show follows nine complete strangers who were involved in a bank robbery gone awry and then examines the impact the incident has on their lives. Sounds like it could be pretty good.
There were some other casting announcements in that link above but the only other one that caught my eye was Eddie Kaye Thomas (he played Finch in the American Pie films) has been cast in a new FOX sitcom called 'Til Death. Thomas will play a newlywed husband in the show. Seeing as how it's on FOX though, I can only assume the show will air on no less than four different nights in at least five different time slots leading up to it's quick cancellation.
Dear television viewer:
In an effort to further drain you of all your energy, tonight's episode of Extremely Popular TV Drama will involve a cliffhanger to be resolved next week on an episode of That Other Extremely Popular TV Drama which airs on a different night and time. We hope you enjoy.
Your friends, The Insane Network Executives.
Am I the only one who hates this? For whatever reason, it really bugs me when TV worlds collide. I just can't deal with the notion that, just maybe, Jack Bauer and Sydney Bristow work down the street from each other. Someone who works on a much higher floor than me thinks this is great idea though. Joel briefly mentioned them in his Festivus post from a few weeks ago, but I've got a whole rant in me.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 9: Quarterfinals Part 1 Performance Rankings
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Recap: Ali Stages an Attack
- Casting Bits: Claire Holt to Star on 'Aquarius,' 'Arrow' Gets Its Wildcat and More
- 'The Real Housewives of New York City' Reunion Part 1 Recap: The Delusion of Miss Sonja Morgan
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: The First 12 Acts Perform Live for Your Votes
- More From BuddyTV
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: Crazy Horse
- CSI Recruits Mark Valley to Team With (and Romance?) Finlay
- Sharknado 2 Has Arrived! 9 Reasons to Watch, 6 Questions You Should Ask
- The Originals' Claire Holt Joins NBC Drama Aquarius as Series Regular
- TV Land Cancels Kirstie Alley Sitcom Kirstie After One Season
- More From TVLine