All that time-jumping got us thinking about other shows that have pulled the "skip forward" move to avoid awkward plot points. You know, like that time 'One Tree Hill' escaped those clunky college years, or when Melinda had a baby on 'Ghost Whisperer' that was suddenly five years old.
After the page jump, join us in a discussion of time jumps and whether or not they actually worked. (And before you comment-yell at us, this list does not include shows that routinely employ time travel, like 'Doctor Who' or 'Quantum Leap.')
Part of the reason for all this confusion is an interview that actor Robert Carlyle (The Full Monty) gave to Premiere.com. Carlyle, who will be playing someone who'd been a mentor to Jack, said that the 24 TV movie, which is meant to cover what's happened since the end of Day 6 with the new Day 7, would apply to the Fox episode commitment. He told Premiere.com, "This is two hours in real time, and there'll then be 22 episodes."
Quick: how old is Jack Bauer?
If you guessed "in his 40s," you're wrong. He's actually in his 50s! At least he will be when the new season of 24 starts on FOX in early 2009. The network has revealed that Bauer will have aged four years when the show returns in January. Chloe will no longer be pregnant -- she'll have a four year old. At least this is more realistic than what you see on soap operas, when a character will have a kid and then that kid will come back two years later and suddenly be a teenager.
In the first season of the show, Bauer was 35 years old, so 17 years have passed on the show. In real life, actor Kiefer Sutherland is 41 years old (he's younger than me? Jeez).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice': Tessanne Chin talks 'therapeutic' semi-finals performance, brunch at Adam Levine's house
- 'Doctor Who': Steven Moffat says Matt Smith is final Doctor, what about Peter Capaldi?
- 'WWE RAW' Dec. 9: Daniel Bryan dominates the Slammy Awards and the show
- 'The Sing-Off': Meet Home Free, the first country a cappella group
- 'Sing-Off': Princeton Footnotes''I Knew You Were Trouble' not enough to save them
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch Tuesday: Sons of Anarchy and 3 Other Finales, a Chicago Fire Fight and More
- The Sing-Off Season 4 Premiere Recap: For Whom the A Capella Tolls
- Sleepy Hollow Fall Finale Recap: Six Thousand Little Ichabods
- The Voice Season 5 Semifinal Performance Recap: Keep Calm and 'Carry On' [Updated]
- Sleepy Hollow: More Corbin? Suspect Sin Eater? An Ichabbie Weekend? And More Burning Qs
- More From TVLine