But what about Brenda?
Well, in his new perch at Entertainment Weekly, Michael Ausiello reports that his sources -- producers Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah -- have confirmed that Miss Shannen Doherty is in formal talks to join 90210 in her original role, Brenda Walsh.
Doherty has a history of rancor between herself and the cast and crew around her. She left Beverly Hills 90210 after four years, and the departure was pretty acrimonious. When she later joined the cast of Charmed (also produced by Aaron Spelling), she left after three years due to supposed problems with her co-star Alyssa Milano.
On the other hand, according to Laughlin, the door is still open for other cast members such as Luke Perry and Jason Priestley. Tori Spelling is already reported to be appearing in the pilot.
Nothing makes a spin-off official like having original cast members in it. It seems a shame that Shannen Doherty keeps shooting herself in the foot like this.
Nikki Finke, over at Deadline Hollywood Daily, which was a prime spot for news about the writers strike, reports that reliable sources claim Tori Spelling will reprise her role of Donna Martin on the spin-off.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Soap star Nathaniel Martson attacked three people using a crate in New York this weekend,
- Jessica Simpson will fill in for Elisabeth Hasselbeck for a few days next month on The View.
- Fires near L.A. are still destroying celebrity homes and interrupting filming.
And now, the Jackson Family is developing its own talent contest for CBS, tentatively called Pop Dynasty. Before you ask, NO, neither Janet nor Michael is involved with the show. This is Jermaine, Tito and LaToya's baby. The three Jacksons will serve as the show's judges.
Last October I hepped y'all to a possible new reality series from Tori Spelling and her husband Dean McDermott in which the couple would run their own bed and breakfast. Well, it's a-comin', and it's a-gonna be on Oxygen. I'm-a gonna stop typing like that now, if you don't mind.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll premieres tomorrow.
- David Beckham's knee injury shouldn't interfere with plans he and Posh have to move to L.A., become reality stars... oh and play soccer.
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott have chosen a winner in the contest to name their new bed and breakfast: the "Chateau La Rue."
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Tori Spelling is re-engaged. I'm re-unimpressed.
- New Year's with the cast of The Sopranos wasn't exactly a hot item on Ebay.
- The immature Rosie and Donald feud continues, and I'm resolving to stop talking about.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Apparently taking a break from that memoir she's writing, Tori Spelling is having a yard sale today and tomorrow.
- Dolly Parton wasn't offended when Jessica Simpson flubbed her song at a her Kennedy Center tribute.
- Treat yourself to lunch with Walter Cronkite, or a private after-party with George Clooney. After all, it's for charity.
I think that those years of bad press and bad jokes may have been the biggest problem that this show had. One that it faced before they ever shot a scene, and one that they were never really able to overcome. A lot of people simply dismissed the show for no other reason than it was starring Tori Spelling as herself. And that's too bad, because I'm here to tell you that they made a pretty funny sit-com.
Recall that Spelling met McDermott while still married to her previous husband, and got married immediately after her divorce was final. This caused tension with her mother Candy, which still is a problem to this day. Maybe a grandchild will ease that tension. It usually does, at least for a little while.
Folks, always be nice to your extremely wealthy and influential parents. Because, if you don't, you may not get what you were promised when one of them passes away.
This is the situation that is playing out in the family of producer Aaron Spelling, who passed away back in June due to complications form a stroke. It seems that daughter Tori Spelling (Beverly Hills, 90210) will not be getting the promised multi-millions from her father's $500 million fortune. Instead, she'll be inheriting a paltry $800,000; a mere 0.16 percent fragment of the entire amount. According to an article in Us Weekly, the severe reduction in funds results from the continued estrangement from her mother Candy, who is the sole executor of her late husband's estate. The report also says that brother Randy will also receive the same amount of money, but will be set up for life by his mother.
The article reads like one of Spelling's primetime soap operas. I wonder if someone else will make the antics of the Spelling family into a successful show starring Heather Locklear.
First of all, who the hell has a private island? I mean, a private island? If I want to go to my local beach, I have to pay $10 just to park the car. And second, the article says that they were the only two people who attended the wedding. Um, there was a minister or justice of the peace too, right?
Spelling and McDermott met a few years ago on the set of the movie Mind Over Murder.
Maybe no one realized this yet. Or, maybe no one really cared. During the 2005-06 television season, seven alumni of FOX's Beverly Hills, 90210 have appeared or will appear in a regular series.
Do you doubt me? Do you think it isn't true? Do you think I have way too much time on my hands? Well, the last may be true, but that's not the point.
Click on, dear reader, for the proof that you seek.
The newest addition to the VH1 family, So NoTORIous, stars Tori Spelling as Tori Spelling and is an odd little blending of sitcom and reality. She pokes fun of herself, her life, her insanely powerful father and eccentric mother non-stop, and I loved every second of it. I have a soft spot in my heart for celebrities that don't take themselves seriously and have no problems with making fun of themselves (David Hasselhoff, William Shatner, Pamela Anderson, etc).
There was news recently that Tori's parents are considering suing her in real life because of her jabs at her mother's eBay addiction on the show, so one could probably assume that this is probably hitting a "little too close to home." It's been a while since I've kicked back with Aaron Spelling, so I'm not sure if he's still that way, but I'd venture to say yes. I do know that I'll be tuning in every week to see how the former Beverly Hills princess fairs out in the real world.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 18 Official Photos: Celebrities with Their Partners
- Meet the Contestants from 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 12
- 'Castle' 6.19 Photos: Captain Gates Gets a Visit from Her Estranged Sister
- 'Grimm' Season 3 Episode Photos
- 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Season 4 Finale Recap: Best Friends For-Never
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Bachelor' reunion: Chris Harrison won't accept that Nikki and Juan Pablo are doing OK if he won't say 'I love you'
- 'Archer Vice' - 'Smugglers' Blues' GIFs and best lines: The 'Gang Who Couldn't Sell Coke Straight'
- 'The Voice' Season 6, episode 5: The final week of blind auditions begins and the coaches are growing picky
- 'The Bachelor' finale: Nikki Ferrell or Clare Crawley, who does Juan Pablo choose?
- 'Dallas': Is wild child Emma in drug cartel's sights?
- More From Zap2it