Anthony Spinner, who among other credits produced and/or wrote for The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Cannon, Search,The FBI, Return of the Saint, and Baretta, is suing both ABC and Touchstone Television, saying that he created (and was paid $30,000 for) a show that is very similar to Lost way back in 1977. He actually sued back in 2005 but the case was dismissed for procedural reasons.
The plot is about a lawyer who finds out that he might also be a prophet. Ahem.
So many lawyer jokes going though my head right now...can't concentrate...
I just hope he's not a prophet who talks to the dead while solving crimes.
Brenneman had three Emmy nominations for her work on CBS' Judging Amy from 1999-2005. Last summer, she left the cameras behind for the stage. And, next year she'll star opposite Al Pacino in the movie, 88 Minutes.
Francis Ford Coppola's small scale masterpiece The Conversation may soon be an ABC series with Coppola himself serving as executive producer. The series will take place in the present day and center on surveillance expert Harry Caul, played in the original film by Gene Hackman. The series will reflect on advances in surveillance technology, including digital spying. Christopher McQuarrie, screenwriter of The Usual Suspects and director of The Way of the Gun is writing the pilot along with Band of Brothers writer Erik Jendresen. Tony Krantz (24) is on board as a producer. The plan is to have a specific story for each episode, with an over-arching storyline centering on the various government agencies tracking Caul. The men behind the new series are currently attempting to close a deal with Touchstone Pictures and Krantz's Flame Ventures to serve as studios for the new show. Given the talent behind this, I could see it really taking off. It'll be interesting to see who they get to play Caul.
Of course, saying 'Harry Potter director' sounds a little more flashy than 'Huff producer', but I think the latter may have a little more bearing on just where this is headed. While mostly known for his movie work (Potter, Mona Lisa Smile, Pushing Tin, Four Weddings and a Funeral), Newell is not new to TV. Along with his work on Huff, Newell also directed episodes of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and a whole mess of television movies and series in the 70s.
[ via digital spy ]
If it does enter iTunes, which Variety says will happen later this month, it will be the first program available for download that is not produced by corporate cousins. For example, Disney-owned Touchstone produces Desperate Housewives and Lost for Disney-owned ABC, while NBC Universal produces The Office for NBC. That's why the networks were able to get those shows on iTunes quickly. Fewer cooks in the kitchen. This also explains why we haven't seen My Name is Earl on iTunes yet. It's actually produced by FOX. Hopefully the Scrubs deal with Touchstone and NBC will create a template for other, similar agreements to get more content on iTunes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Aquarius' Official Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'MasterChef': Surprise! Your Kitchen Comes Back to Haunt You
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.7 Photos: Will Alison Win the Election for School Trustee?
- Summer 2015's Sexiest Stars: TV's Hottest Women
- 5 Juicy Tidbits Andy Cohen Wants You to Know About 'The Real Housewives'
- More From BuddyTV
- CBS' Briefcase Premiere: Did We Just See the Only 'Acceptable' Outcome?
- Smash's Broadway Event Expands! Who's Joining Ellis (!) in Bombshell?
- Golan the Insatiable Sneak Peek: Rob Riggle, Aubrey Plaza Preview Their Twisted Monster-Child Friendship
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- More From TVLine
- Chris Pratt Recites the Pledge of Allegiance With His Son and It's the Best Thing You'll See All Day!
- The Studs of Summer: Hollywood's Hottest Hunks and Their Big Blockbusters
- Kylie Jenner Slams Pregnancy Rumors (Again)
- Chris Pine Might Play Wonder Woman's Love Interest and Here's Why We're Excited!
- Miley Cyrus 'Accidentally' Flashes a Nipple on Instagram
- More From ET