To gain inspiration, they were treated to a private circus of their own, which was overwhelming for many of the sculptors.
Rusty Croft, who heads up this crew, said of the experience, "How lucky are we. This is the greatest job ever." It's hard to argue with him.
The final structure was massive and absolutely breathtaking. It's only a shame that sand art, like ice sculptures, is so temporary. At least now they'll have a video record of the whole experience, and we get to share it with them.
First up was Jerry Sags, one half of pro-wrestling tag team The Nasty Boys.
Sags' challenge was The Davy Jones, or "ten wings covered in pure pepper extract," at the pirate-themed Rapscallions in Tampa, Florida. With a crowd cheering him on, Sags powered through as sweat poured down his face and he turned bright red.
As Joel pointed out the other day, this new show is a good move for Palin as well as Discovery. The numbers she'll need to pull for TLC are in the low millions, so that should be do-able considering her appeal to a large segment of the public. Especially that segment that likes her without taking an interest in her political opinions. This show will have no politics. It's going to be like a movie from the Alaska Convention and Visitor's Bureau. You know, "Come to Alaska, experience the wild life and feel the chill." (Hmm ... maybe I should trademark that?)
It sounds like Food Network is following in the footsteps of classy shows like Hurl and Fear Factor. I expect better from the network that espouses to be about the best in food and cooking, not how fast you can jam it down your throat.
The same company that's behind Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels, Pie Town Productions, has cooked up Eat the Clock. They're comparing it to The Amazing Race, but with eating contests thrown up -- I mean, in. There will be travel involved, which relates to Rachael's travel show. Maybe they'll have Rachael try her gullet at consuming mass quantities. (Oh wait, that's the Coneheads.)
Just to clear up any potential confusion, this post is not about traveling television sets, nor is it about fictional TV characters who happen to travel. This is a list dedicated to real travelers who have taken us on fantastic journeys in the form of their own television shows.
Yes, for everyone who has been waiting for a network devoted to nothing but skiiing (I'm one to talk; if I had The Tennis Channel I'd watch it 24/7), this is your lucky day. Or, to be more exact, some day in 2008 will be your lucky day.
That's when The Ski Channel launches. It's a new network devoted to, um, skiiing. I can't tell if it's going to be a regular network or something else, because it is described as a "network with distribution on video-on-demand and multimedia platforms." OK.
I was wondering how they'll fill the time with just skiiing, but they have that covered. From the article:
(S11E02) This show has to be considered an aerobic exercise. Sure, I'm sitting on the couch, but my heartrate is always up when I'm watching The Amazing Race.
This week the teams are off to Santiago, Chile (they ended last week in Ecuador). We don't get to learn much about the country or any Chilean traditions. I like that part of The Amazing Race, so hopefully that tradition will return.
Warning: Spoilers after the jump!
New episodes of GlobeTrekker begin on Monday, Sept. 4th at 8 pm.
Bourdain's new book, The Nasty Bits, is pretty damn great, by the way. It's a collection of his columns over the years. The man knows food, but he's a helluva writer too.
Gee. You think we're going to see some GoTrump plugs on this season of The Apprentice? Yeah, me too.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 5
- 'The Bachelorette' Where Are They Now?: A Relationship Status Update
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Are the Week 6 Nominees?
- 'The Originals' Interview: Danielle Campbell Teases Davina in Her Role as Regent
- Why 'BoJack Horseman' Is the Best Netflix Original You're Not Watching
- More From BuddyTV
- Game of Thrones Casts Ian McShane in Season 6 Mystery Role
- PBS Announces Premiere Date for Downton Abbey's Final Season
- Stitchers Finale Video: Emma Ishta Promises Big Answers, Possible Death
- Degrassi Series Finale Recap: Indecent Promposals
- American Crime Adds André Benjamin in 'Fierce' Season 2 Role
- More From TVLine
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Intimate Memorial Service Focuses on Family, Music and Spirituality
- Scott Disick May Regret Kourtney Kardashian Split: 'The Grass Isn't Always Greener'
- Bobbi Kristina's Aunt Leolah Brown Thrown Out of Funeral After Outburst
- Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Reveal Newborn Daughter's Rockstar Name
- Charlize Theron Adopts Second Child, a Baby Girl -- Find Out Her Name!
- More From ET