Speaking about his show's renewal, host Daly said, "I am excited to continue with what we are doing here at 'Last Call' ... We give our viewers something unique and interesting every night to watch and I am very proud of that."
NBC Exec VP Nick Ludwin added that "'Last Call' is enjoying its best season yet and its ratings are up. We're pleased it's going to continue."
Airing in the latest slot of any late night talk show , the half-hour 'Last Call' features live music performances, celebrity interviews and "gritty documentary style"-coverage of a topic.
The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that that the live MTV talk show, hosted by the British model-turned-TV host, will not be renewed for a third season.
Designed to cross web and television content, 'On Air' debuted in June and combined live performances, celebrity interviews, videos and feeds from sites like Twitter and Facebook. It was aimed at luring young, hip viewers away from their iPhones and back to television. The first season's hourlong format was quickly shortened to a half-hour for its second season, as the network attempted to further appeal to the show's demographic.
Now, please allow me to frolic about in my own fantasy world, in which I create my idea of MTV's perfect programming schedule. There are only five -- FIVE -- MTV shows that I would keep. That's right. Everything else should be full-on music videos. In my own MTV, there will be no Laguna Beach, no Pimp My Ride, and certainly no Yo Momma (how did they manage to pitch that?!)
MTV is really getting into this whole idea of TV viewers also becoming TV content providers. First they add a new viewer video category for the MTV Movie Awards, and now they're looking for guest hosts for Total Request Live.
Fans of the show have to answer six questions to enter, including which celebrity that they'd pick to star as in a movie about their life, who they would pick for the ultimate TRL guest list, and how they would describe TRL to someone who has never seen the show before (that last one is easy: they play music videos, a celeb comes on, and the kids in the audience go nutso). MTV and Acuvue will pick four winners who will each host a day in May.
You also have to upload a picture of yourself. So please, make sure you're attractive.
[via TV Guide]
Like many of you, I love music, and I think we can all agree that the best way to listen to our favorite music is to have total strangers interrupt a song, and for the song to never play in its entirety. MTV understood this need, and that's why they gave us Total Request Live (or TRL as the cool kids call it).
In the wake of an announcement by Viacom that it would be cutting nearly 250 jobs from its music networks, rumors began to circulate that TRL would be taken off the air, but according to a rep from MTV, those rumors are not true. Regardless, TRL has seen a decline as of late, and Variety reports that interactive sites like YouTube and MySpace are partly to blame, as they provide a more personal mode of interactivity.
January 29 -- Tonight Show With Jay Leno
January 31 -- The Today Show
February 1 -- Live With Regis & Kelly
February 1 -- A guest appearance on Ugly Betty
February 5 -- TRL
February 6 -- The Early Show
Februay 7 -- Jimmy Kimmel Live
February 8 -- Larry King Live
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 5
- 'The Bachelorette' Where Are They Now?: A Relationship Status Update
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Are the Week 6 Nominees?
- 'The Originals' Interview: Danielle Campbell Teases Davina in Her Role as Regent
- Why 'BoJack Horseman' Is the Best Netflix Original You're Not Watching
- More From BuddyTV
- Game of Thrones Casts Ian McShane in Season 6 Mystery Role
- PBS Announces Premiere Date for Downton Abbey's Final Season
- Stitchers Finale Video: Emma Ishta Promises Big Answers, Possible Death
- Degrassi Series Finale Recap: Indecent Promposals
- American Crime Adds André Benjamin in 'Fierce' Season 2 Role
- More From TVLine
- A Bikini-Clad Rihanna Drips in Gold -- See the Pics!
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Intimate Memorial Service Focuses on Family, Music and Spirituality
- Scott Disick May Regret Kourtney Kardashian Split: 'The Grass Isn't Always Greener'
- Bobbi Kristina's Aunt Leolah Brown Thrown Out of Funeral After Outburst
- Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Reveal Newborn Daughter's Rockstar Name
- More From ET