Speaking about his show's renewal, host Daly said, "I am excited to continue with what we are doing here at 'Last Call' ... We give our viewers something unique and interesting every night to watch and I am very proud of that."
NBC Exec VP Nick Ludwin added that "'Last Call' is enjoying its best season yet and its ratings are up. We're pleased it's going to continue."
Airing in the latest slot of any late night talk show , the half-hour 'Last Call' features live music performances, celebrity interviews and "gritty documentary style"-coverage of a topic.
The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that that the live MTV talk show, hosted by the British model-turned-TV host, will not be renewed for a third season.
Designed to cross web and television content, 'On Air' debuted in June and combined live performances, celebrity interviews, videos and feeds from sites like Twitter and Facebook. It was aimed at luring young, hip viewers away from their iPhones and back to television. The first season's hourlong format was quickly shortened to a half-hour for its second season, as the network attempted to further appeal to the show's demographic.
Now, please allow me to frolic about in my own fantasy world, in which I create my idea of MTV's perfect programming schedule. There are only five -- FIVE -- MTV shows that I would keep. That's right. Everything else should be full-on music videos. In my own MTV, there will be no Laguna Beach, no Pimp My Ride, and certainly no Yo Momma (how did they manage to pitch that?!)
MTV is really getting into this whole idea of TV viewers also becoming TV content providers. First they add a new viewer video category for the MTV Movie Awards, and now they're looking for guest hosts for Total Request Live.
Fans of the show have to answer six questions to enter, including which celebrity that they'd pick to star as in a movie about their life, who they would pick for the ultimate TRL guest list, and how they would describe TRL to someone who has never seen the show before (that last one is easy: they play music videos, a celeb comes on, and the kids in the audience go nutso). MTV and Acuvue will pick four winners who will each host a day in May.
You also have to upload a picture of yourself. So please, make sure you're attractive.
[via TV Guide]
Like many of you, I love music, and I think we can all agree that the best way to listen to our favorite music is to have total strangers interrupt a song, and for the song to never play in its entirety. MTV understood this need, and that's why they gave us Total Request Live (or TRL as the cool kids call it).
In the wake of an announcement by Viacom that it would be cutting nearly 250 jobs from its music networks, rumors began to circulate that TRL would be taken off the air, but according to a rep from MTV, those rumors are not true. Regardless, TRL has seen a decline as of late, and Variety reports that interactive sites like YouTube and MySpace are partly to blame, as they provide a more personal mode of interactivity.
January 29 -- Tonight Show With Jay Leno
January 31 -- The Today Show
February 1 -- Live With Regis & Kelly
February 1 -- A guest appearance on Ugly Betty
February 5 -- TRL
February 6 -- The Early Show
Februay 7 -- Jimmy Kimmel Live
February 8 -- Larry King Live
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blog: Kupah's Big Meltdown
- 'iZombie' Recap: Major Uncovers a Shocking Secret
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 10 Premiere Recap: Unassuming Acts Shine as the Auditions Begin
- More From BuddyTV
- The Good Wife: Archie Panjabi Doesn't Deny Kalinda/Alicia Scene Was Faked
- Amy Schumer 'Defends' Bill Cosby in Court of Public Opinion — Watch Clips
- America's Got Talent Premiere: Howie Shakes Hands & More Big Moments — Plus: Who Got the First Golden Buzzer?
- Aquarius: David Duchovny, Cast Talk 'Tragic' Charles Manson Drama
- American Idol's Clark Beckham Talks 'Sunday Morning' Chords, Police Lyrics, His Big Battle With Scott Borchetta
- More From TVLine
- Sofia Vergara Keeps a Joe Manganiello Cutout in Her Gym for 'Motivation'
- Watch 'Nashville's' Lennon and Maisy Sing Acoustic, Talk Connie Britton's 'Legendary' Hair
- We Have Miley Cyrus to Thank for ‘Grace and Frankie' Season 2
- Zac Efron's Brother Pens Sweet Poem About Struggles of Having a Famous Sibling
- Kim Kardashian Topless for 'Vogue Brasil' in Marilyn Monroe-Inspired Photo Shoot
- More From ET