What's been the most interesting thing about my time here, when Keith McDuffee hired me to blog for TV Squad right after it and the rest of Weblogs, Inc. (Engadget, TUAW, Joystiq, etc.) were bought by AOL, has been how the coverage of TV has changed in a relatively short period of time.
Think back to 2005. It doesn't seem like that long ago, right? Most media websites had matured to the point where their designs were slick, professional and well-done. Blogs were starting to become the prevalent form of communication on the web. Heck, sites like Television Without Pity had already been around for a half-decade by that point, giving us funny recaps of our favorite shows and letting us sound off on message boards.
But besides TWoP, the old TV Squad and a scattered few others, there wasn't much out there in terms of giving fans really in-depth critical coverage of the shows they love.
Now? It's all over the place, and most of it is of high quality.
['Detroit 1-8-7' - 'Pilot']
Regardless of the fact that 'Detroit 1-8-7' is filmed in Detroit, it's hard to imagine the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitor's Bureau being all too happy about the show's content. In the first episode of ABC's freshman cop drama, it took literally one second for the show, via narrator, to refer to the troubled city as the "birthplace of Motown and once the heart of the automobile industry. Now it has one of the highest murder rates in the country." Not exactly the kind of message you want on any postcards.
But if it's any consolation, there's a good chance any PR concerns may be a non-issue. If the show doesn't vastly improve from the ho-hum pilot, its days may be numbered.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Friends Reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow Reprise Their Roles on Kimmel
- So You Think You Can Dance Recap: Who Should Win the Season 11 Title?
- Mindy Project Casts Shonda Rhimes (Yes, Shonda Rhimes) to Play [Spoiler]
- Arrow Recasts Oliver's Blade-Wielding Season 3 Mentor
- Mean Girls' Daniel Franzese Lands Looking Role — Who Will He Court?
- More From TVLine
- Enjoy Khloe Kardashian's Epic Pre-Kimye-Wedding Hangover
- Hello Kitty Revealed Not To Be A Cat and Apparently Nothing Is True Anymore
- Meet David Muir, the Man Taking Over ABC's 'World News'
- 'Project Runway''s Christian Siriano on His Much-Praised Emmy Designs
- A Winning Couple! Aaron Paul's Wife Reacts to Emmy Speech, Talks 'Kind Campaign'
- More From ET