What's been the most interesting thing about my time here, when Keith McDuffee hired me to blog for TV Squad right after it and the rest of Weblogs, Inc. (Engadget, TUAW, Joystiq, etc.) were bought by AOL, has been how the coverage of TV has changed in a relatively short period of time.
Think back to 2005. It doesn't seem like that long ago, right? Most media websites had matured to the point where their designs were slick, professional and well-done. Blogs were starting to become the prevalent form of communication on the web. Heck, sites like Television Without Pity had already been around for a half-decade by that point, giving us funny recaps of our favorite shows and letting us sound off on message boards.
But besides TWoP, the old TV Squad and a scattered few others, there wasn't much out there in terms of giving fans really in-depth critical coverage of the shows they love.
Now? It's all over the place, and most of it is of high quality.
['Detroit 1-8-7' - 'Pilot']
Regardless of the fact that 'Detroit 1-8-7' is filmed in Detroit, it's hard to imagine the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitor's Bureau being all too happy about the show's content. In the first episode of ABC's freshman cop drama, it took literally one second for the show, via narrator, to refer to the troubled city as the "birthplace of Motown and once the heart of the automobile industry. Now it has one of the highest murder rates in the country." Not exactly the kind of message you want on any postcards.
But if it's any consolation, there's a good chance any PR concerns may be a non-issue. If the show doesn't vastly improve from the ho-hum pilot, its days may be numbered.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Funniest Episodes of 'Supernatural,' Part 2
- Top 10 Moments from 'Survivor: San Juan Del Sur'
- [Video] 'Orphan Black' Season 3 Premiere Date Set: The Clones Go to 'War' in April
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Pepper Finds a New Home
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' Finale Recap: Who Won Season 29?
- More From BuddyTV
- Vampire Diaries: 24's Annie Wersching Booked for 'Caustic' Recurring Role
- TVLine Items: Girls Parents Cast, Sarah Silverman's HBO Pilot and More
- Kiefer Sutherland on Doing More 24: 'I Don't See Myself Going Back to It'
- Smash Musical Gets One-Night Broadway Bow — Who Will Star In It?
- Ratings: Survivor Finale Tops Night, Sing-Off Slips, The 100 Ties Low
- More From TVLine
- Jessica Chastain on Hollywood's Big Woman Problem: I Was Just 'Lucky'
- Why the 'Serial' Finale Was the Best Possible Finale
- 7 Country Stars Whose Lives Mirrored the Music in 2014
- FLASHBACK: Fred Savage & Jenny Lewis In Cult Classic 'The Wizard,' AKA 1989's Biggest Nintendo Ad
- New 'Orphan Black' Season 3 Trailer: Will We Lose Our Favorite Clone?!
- More From ET