Just in time to tax refund season -- because you can't use the money for things like gas, food and basic survival -- comes the newest Barbie releases from toy giant Mattel. They're the Star Trek Barbie dolls -- three dolls that represent Kirk, Spock and Uhura. Okay, that's neat. But, there's just one issue...
See, these dolls are not designed after the original Star Trek cast from the 1960s. These dolls are modeled after the stars that will play those iconic characters in the new and highly anticipated Star Trek prequel coming out in May. Each doll comes dressed in the Starfleet outfits that are familiar to fans of the original series and carries a phaser (Type II model) and a communicator.
The cost for the dolls...forty-four friggin bucks a piece! Don't worry, because you have until the end of April to save up before they are released to Wal-mart, walmart.com, and Barbiecollector.com. Get them while they last before someone sells them on eBay for triple the price.
Zoe Saldana looks to me the spitting image of the young Nichelle Nichols. She does carry a different hairdo than Nichols (more ponytail than bouffant) in the classic Trek but even her hairstyle seems like one women would have worn during that era. It's retro without seeming dated. Of course, unlike the original series, based on the trailer, we know that this version of Uhura will be taking off her shirt at some point.
Eric Bana's character seems like some sort of biker or a cast member of The Road Warrior. What's with all the tattoos? My idea of the Romulans differ slightly than the director but after seeing the kick-ass trailer in the theaters, I have more faith in Mr. Abrams' vision.
The first trailer (not counting that lame teaser trailer that debuted months ago and was only aimed towards hardcore fans who get off on Enterprise blueprints) for the movie is now available. It is attached to some copies of Quantum of Solace (though, sadly, not the place where I saw QoS the other night, damn it) and Paramount has also released the official version online so we don't have to sit through YouTube videos that someone shot in a dark theater.
Paramount Pictures is in final negotiations with Zoe Saldana to play Uhura in the upcoming Star Trek film. While the plot of the film is still a secret, it's well-known that the movie, which is being directed by J.J. Abrams, focuses on the early days of Starfleet and the younger versions of the well-known characters.
Saldana, who first came into the public eye as Britney Spears' girlfriend in Crossroads, also had a small part in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Cast of 'American Horror Story: Freak Show'
- 'Gotham' Interview: David Mazouz on Bruce Wayne's Extraordinary Maturity and Comprehension
- 'America's Next Top Model' Interview: Mentor Yu Tsai on Staying Out of the Drama, His Picks for Top 4 and More
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Interview: John Noble, Katia Winter and EP Roberto Orci on Strained Crane Family Relationships
- 'Forever' Review: A Familiar Premise That Just Won't Die
- More From BuddyTV
- NCIS' Sean Murray Previews 'Classic' Season 12, McGee/Gibbs Bonding
- The Mysteries of Laura Sneak Peek: 'Captain Booty' Lays Down the Law
- TVLine Items: South Park Tackles the NFL, Sheen Eyes Men Return and More
- Murder, He Wrote: Meet the Man Behind Shondaland's Latest Wild Ride
- Ratings: Madam Secretary Samples Well, Good Wife Premiere Dips
- More From TVLine
- Emma Watson Delivers Passionate UN Speech On Gender Equality
- Gabrielle Union Confirms Nude Photo Leak: 'We Have Done Nothing Wrong'
- Ginnifer Goodwin Makes Her First Post-Baby Red Carpet Appearance
- EXCLUSIVE: Paula Deen Struggled With Agoraphobia Fears After Racial Slur Scandal
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch Dierks Bentley Fly on the 'Say You Do' Set
- More From ET