Ah, how good it is to get back to The Wire. I've been steered off track by other DVDs landing on my doorstep for Jane After Dark, so season five of The Wire has been a while coming. One again, the show blows me away with the writing, characters, cinematography and realism. I'm just part-way into season one, but I love all of the references to everything that's happened thus far in the series, and the crew's continued attempts to bring down Marlo's organization. And, apparently, Omar is still in the game ...
(S05E02) "This ain't Aruba, bitch." - Bunk
No... it's not. Of course, Bunk was referring to the Natalee Holloway case from a few years back. The case (which added considerable fuel to the frenzy that surrounds "missing white woman syndrome" in the news outlets) was addressed because of what it implies. The question? What's it take to get noticed? What's it take to get proper news coverage and police investigation? As we've learned, 22 dead black males just don't make the cut. As Bunk and Lester reasoned, you need breasts, white skin, and a cheerleader's outfit for good measure. That or be a tourist.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Flash': 15 Secrets Kept or Revealed During 'Things You Can't Outrun'
- 'Supernatural' Mystery: Who Is the Red-Headed Woman?
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Soul Survivor'
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.5 Photos: Nina Dobrev Visits as Original Doppelganger and Elijah's Love
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.4 Photos: Nyssa al Ghul Returns
- More From BuddyTV
- MTV Orders Broke A$$ Game Show and Todrick to Series in 2015
- Sons of Anarchy Recap: Eye for an Eye
- Pretty Little Liars Video: 'A' Spreads Holiday Fear in New Christmas Promo
- The Voice Recap: It's Just a Noisy Hall, Where There's a Nightly Brawl
- More From TVLine
- Michael Strahan Looks Ripped on 'Magic Mike XXL' Set
- Neil Patrick Harris, Chelsea Handler Make Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating People List
- Renee Zellweger On Her New Appearance: Perhaps I Look Different, I'm Older
- Matthew McConaughey Puts A Year Of Accolades And Acclaim Into Perspective
- 7 Stars Dressed Like Everyday Appliances
- More From ET