It seems that the network has gotten a little bored of having the occasional 40 minute episode of their Thursday night lineup (My Name Is Earl, The Office, Scrubs, and 30 Rock). It's been going on for 10 years now (it started with Friends), but NBC President of Program Planning Vince Manze says that it's not novel anymore and "I don't think anyone here thinks, at this point, super-sizing often is good for the shows. We're going to do our best to not have to do it next year."
The network is, however, going forward with plans to air several hour-long eps of The Office this fall. If that's successful, maybe they'll try it with other shows?
It turns out, the 2-minute spoof was an NBC creation. Marketing guru Vince Manze admitted to Variety that he created the spoof without any fanfare or even a tease to the real series, just as an experiment. He didn't even tell Heroes creator Tim Kring about it. The video short got more than 1.5 million views on YouTube. Minze seems to be one of the few marketing guys who "get it". He knows that people aren't going to YouTube to watch advertisements or promos (unless they're exceptionally creative).
How do you guys feel about this? The network is getting buzz for its show by spoofing it. Is it sneaky or is it creative marketing?
Zeroes is after the jump:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.17 Photos: Tony's Dad Offers His Expertise to the Team
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 8 Girls Performance Rankings
- NBC Sets Summer 2015 Premiere Dates with 'Hannibal,' 'America's Got Talent' and More
- First Look at 'Supergirl' Costume for CBS
- 4 Reasons to Binge-Watch Netflix's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot Scoop: Melanie Griffith Lands 'Queenly' Role on ABC Comedy
- Happyish: Showtime Series' Trailer Has Harsh Words for a Founding Father
- Pretty Little Liars Season Finale Photos: Rosewood Braces for the Big 'A' Reveal
- Jane the Virgin's Justin Baldoni on the Big Proposal, Losing to Team Michael
- Hannibal Season 3 Premiere Date Set
- More From TVLine
- ‘Insurgent' Star Shailene Woodley on Social Media and Staying in Shape
- 'Exotic Marigold Hotel' Sequel and 3 Other Films for Mature Moviegoers
- Smokey Robinson Remembers 'We Are the World' 30 Years Later
- Harrison Ford Recovering After Crash
- Cate Blanchett Adopts a Baby Girl -- Find Out Her Adorable Name!
- More From ET