It seems that the network has gotten a little bored of having the occasional 40 minute episode of their Thursday night lineup (My Name Is Earl, The Office, Scrubs, and 30 Rock). It's been going on for 10 years now (it started with Friends), but NBC President of Program Planning Vince Manze says that it's not novel anymore and "I don't think anyone here thinks, at this point, super-sizing often is good for the shows. We're going to do our best to not have to do it next year."
The network is, however, going forward with plans to air several hour-long eps of The Office this fall. If that's successful, maybe they'll try it with other shows?
It turns out, the 2-minute spoof was an NBC creation. Marketing guru Vince Manze admitted to Variety that he created the spoof without any fanfare or even a tease to the real series, just as an experiment. He didn't even tell Heroes creator Tim Kring about it. The video short got more than 1.5 million views on YouTube. Minze seems to be one of the few marketing guys who "get it". He knows that people aren't going to YouTube to watch advertisements or promos (unless they're exceptionally creative).
How do you guys feel about this? The network is getting buzz for its show by spoofing it. Is it sneaky or is it creative marketing?
Zeroes is after the jump:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Josh Charles Joins Masters of Sex Cast for Scent-sational Season 3 Arc
- Criminal Minds Finale Sneak Peek: Kate's Niece Hits the 'Panic' Button
- Ratings: Mike & Molly Slips to Series Low, Gotham Rises With Finale
- Will Forever's Jo Learn Henry's Secret? The Series' Stars Have a Theory
- Once Upon a Time Finale Sneak Peek: Heroic Regina Battles Evil Snow White
- More From TVLine
- Met Gala After Party Craziness: Katy Perry & John Mayer Back On, J. Law's Slinky Dress & Kylie Jenner's Sports Bra
- Britney Spears Ditches Ankle Cast Just Days After Stage Fall
- Queen Elizabeth Meets Princess Charlotte
- Chris Brown Suspected of Misdemeanor Battery Following Las Vegas Basketball Game Fight
- Ryan Gosling Eats His Cereal in Touching Tribute to Meme Creator
- More From ET