There are pros and cons on either side. The companies that syndicated her talk show stand to lose a significant asset if she wraps up the current incarnation and abandons the market. Think of all those afternoon hours around that country that count on Oprah at three or four o'clock, or the morning slots where Oprah leads in to noon newscasts. Companies like CBS Distribution and the Tribune Company have feasted on the robust ratings Oprah has consistently delivered.
Today, coach Vivian Stringer and ten players will appear on Oprah via satellite. It's only the second time they have spoken out in response to Imus' April 4th comments. Yesterday, the coach and several players said they found Imus' comments to be hurtful and insensitive.
Does Imus also deserve a live-via-satellite interview with Oprah?
It's bad enough that 50 has dissed every rapper in the game - Ja Rule, Nas, Fat Joe, Shyne, Jadakiss, D-Block and The Game. Now, he has to go and diss one of the most important black public figures of the past twenty years. I don't see 50 using his fortune to open schools for girls in South Africa or getting America to read Toni Morrison novels. There's a great deal you can take down Oprah for, but questioning the integrity of her "blackness" is ridiculous - particularly when done by a rapper who owes much of his success to industry mentor and white boy Eminem. Seriously, 50, stick to telling us how to party like it's our birthday instead of picking fights with the big O.
First she was furious for being snubbed, now she's furious for being accused of gross snubbery. It seems Oprah is angry a lot these days. The most recent flak was caused when a columnist for a black paper in Chicago questioned Winfrey's absence at the funeral of black businessman John H. Johnson, founder of the magazines Ebony and Jet. Oprah says she was in Hawaii when she got the news of Johnson's death, and could not return for the funeral. She plans to do a show about the media pioneer after the summer hiatus.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Quantico' Episode 5 Photos: The Trainees Go Undercover for the First Time
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'ANTM' Recap: A Model Is Welcomed Back, Then Sent Packing Again
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Teams Become Gauchos in Argentina
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- More From BuddyTV
- Shia LaBeouf Arrested in Texas for Public Intoxication
- Why Vin Diesel Is Serious About Stunts
- Calista Flockhart Can't Get Over the 'Supergirl' Buzz
- Gigi Hadid and Mom Yolanda Foster Adorably Hold Hands While in NYC With Joe Jonas, Bella Hadid and The Weeknd
- Watch Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson 'Hit the Quan' in Flawless Dance Video
- More From ET