Did you know that the word hockey derives from "hocquet," a french word for "stick?" Add a puck, an ice floor and competition dating back to ancient Grecian times and you've got the Ice Hockey tournaments at the Winter Olympics.
With the round robin tournaments in full swing for both Women's and Men's Ice Hockey competion, make sure you don't miss the slapshots heard around the world. Check out the Olympic Ice Hockey schedule after the jump.
With that in mind, the Hulu team took a look back to find other Olympic heroes who have crossed over to TV over the years. Here are some of our favorites.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, NBC has averaged an unexpected 28.6 million viewers over the first three days of its Olympics coverage, which marks a 25 percent increase over the 2006 Torino Games.
Reports indicate that those numbers also mark the highest non-U.S. Winter Games debut since as far back as 1994, when the Lillehammer Games got a boost from the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding Figure Skating scandal, in which Harding allegedly covered up a conspiracy between her ex-husband and bodyguard to attack her competitor, Kerrigan, during a practice session.
Why? Three words: The Winter Olympics.
Every two years, since NBC started carrying the Olympics, they turn their top-rated morning news show into essentially the Games' morning recap show. Sure, you still get that first half hour of pure news, but after that, the show becomes all-Olympics, all the time, from examining the personal stories of the athletes, to travelogues about whatever exotic locale the Games are in that year, to deep, 'SportsCenter'-like examination of the previous night's results.
But that's not the part that annoys me the most. When the hosts go out and try to do the Olympic sports themselves, the cringe factor goes up exponentially. Especially when Matt Lauer and Al Roker are involved.
What makes this remake so exciting is that here it is 25 years later and an entire new group of musicians took part, including Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Pink, the Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Harry Connick, Toni Braxton, Snoop Dogg, Jason Mraz, Josh Groban, Tony Bennett, LL Cool J, Jonas Brothers... whew! The news might be that Lady Gaga couldn't make it.
That may be because team member Shani Davis called Colbert a "jerk" for running his smear campaign against the Canadians, a smear campaign that seemed to get the Canadians to back and give his team practice time on Canada's ice. It even almost seemed as though Colbert was going to address the name-calling in his opening "Who's Attacking Me Now" segment on Monday, but instead went into the comments made by White House Recovery Act Coordinator G. Edward DeSeve.
Should Colbert call out Davis for his name calling and more importantly, will he?
According to Fancast, a mysterious blog article (which has since vanished like the island itself) reported that 'Lost' showrunner Carlton Cuse indicated during a recent visit to Harvard University that the show would be taking a mid-season hiatus to avoid airing head-to-head against the Winter Olympics.
When a show takes a break for awhile it's easy to forget about it, what with our crazy fast-paced lifestyles, cellphones, outboard motors, uranium-powered waffle makers and what have you. Therefore, I thought I should take a moment to remind my fellow Monkheads that Monk is coming back with new episodes this Friday. Our favorite obsessive-compulsive detective took some time off during the Winter Olympics. The new episode, titled "Mr. Monk and the Astronaut" pits Monk against an astronaut who he claims committed murder, despite the astronaut insisting he was in space at the time. I've used that alibi several times, and it never works.
- Day-to-day coverage can be found under our "Sports" category.
- What is the favorite song amongst the Olympic figure skaters?
- Bob thinks NBC is obsessed with curling.
- Don Knotts dead at 81.
- Darren McGavin dead at 83.
- Curt Gowdy dead at 86.
- William Cowsill dead at 58.
- Huzzah! James van der Beek returns to TV!
- ABC cameraman injured in Iraq released from hospital.
- Mike Wallace donates papers to his alma mater.
- Cheri Oteri gets a Best of SNL DVD.
- Supervising producer leaving Lost.
- The New York Television festival is announced.
- FCC about to slam CBS, FOX, NBC for fines; the word "shit" is made taboo.
- Mark Burnett to create a hip news show.
- Former UPN stations to be part of MyTV "network".
- The Reality TV Convention is announced.
- Peter Jennings Way christened in New York City.
- Tom Cruise may sue Life & Style over TomKat split-up story.
- Lisa Loeb gives me dating advice in Part 2 of my interview with her.
- Here's Part 1 of that interview.
- Listen to TV Squad's APB podcast #3.
- Adam asks readers about the local kids shows they used to watch.
- Is the liberal media bias a myth?
- Should Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich have known about The Daily Show?
- Is Shatner really going to have a "man love" storyline on Boston Legal?
- Which shows are still filmed in front of a live studio audience?
- Who would win in a fight: Adama or Picard?
- Where two heads are better than one.
- Reasons why Kim still likes Simon Cowell.
- Reasons to NOT Kill off Ana Lucia's character on Lost.
- Adam's favorite presidential cartoon and puppet appearances.
- Anna thinks polygamy can be funny.
- Adam talks about the show Let's Bowl!
- Anna loves Trick My Truck.
- She's also sick and tired of rich kids on reality shows.
- Annie talks about the voice of Spongebob, Tom Kenny.
- Bob can't stand it when the entertainment shows have "breaking news".
- Adam remembers VH1 Storytellers.
- Lacy examines the Maxim layout of the AI O'Donohue twins.
- She also looks at the layout of Autumn Resser of The O.C.
- I hate it when TV lawyers and doctors are easily allowed to practice out of state.
- Jonathan defends Martha Stewart in her throwdown with The Donald.
- Day 10 coverage
- Day 9 coverage
- Day 8 coverage
- Day 7 coverage
- Day 6 coverage
- Day 5 coverage
- Day 4 coverage
- Michelle Kwan drops out, turns down NBC's offer...
- ...but signs on with Disney.
- Anna asks readers why they aren't watching the Olympics.
- Does Scott Hamilton's stint on Skating with Celebrities hurt his Olympic credibility?
- Our nice, gentle introduction to the project...
- ...Screw that; we're doing it because we think we can out-sketch SNL.
- Nick Lachey seeks spousal support.
- Crumbs is put on hiatus.
- NBC tells YouTube to remove Lazy Sunday video.
- Alec Baldwin is in talks to join Tina Fey-produced NBC series.
- Hubba Hubba! Veronica Mars star strips down for Maxim.
- Character actor Andreas Kastulas passes away.
- Kevin Smith wants to appear on Earl with his buddy Jason Lee.
- Jean Byron passes away.
- John Corbett (Nothern Exposure, Lucky) puts out a country album.
- Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey cause a ruckus at a San Diego high school.
- 24 show-runner signed through sixth season.
- Shocker: ratings for Arrested Development finale were miniscule.
- Anne Heche to be in ABC pilot.
- So will Chazz Palminteri.
- Shannen Doherty hurt in a car accident.
- NBC brings Joey back, extends The Office.
- Life & Syle reports that TomKat is no more.
- The Apprentice will have less American-born contestants.
- Listen to our second APB podcast.
- With which sci-fi crew are you be the most compatible?
- What is with the mysterious stain on Martha's carpet?
- Readers discuss what food they'd bring to a Seinfeld dinner party.
- Would you work at Dunder-Mifflin?
- What are college students watching?
- Ryan creates an iMix from the songs on How I Met Your Mother.
- Jonathan's day at the Museum of Television and Radio.
- What the hell did Paris Bennett do to her hair?
- Bob is spooked by the Olsen Twins.
- Anna like's the new CD from Idol's Taylor Hicks.
- Bob hates that 2-second satellite
delay on live news remotes.
People are wondering why people aren't that excited about the Olympics. Sure, it could be the time difference. It could be that we're watching other things. It could even be that the human drama isn't that thrilling anymore, in this day of reality shows and American Idol.
I don't think NBC is helping matters by showing curling all day today. I mean, curling? It's not exactly the most dramatic of TV sports. It combines the heart-pounding pace of horseshoes with the excitement of...sweeping your kitchen floor. But it's been on all day.
I'm still not sure how you keep score.
The Winter Olympics have begun!
- Anna thinks Brian Williams brought too much of the real world to the opening ceremonies.
- Day 3 coverage
- Day 2 coverage
- Local NBC cameraman blogs from Turin (or Torino, depends on your language).
- Viewers get to vote for one Olympic athlete to join The Apprentice.
- The five Olympic sports Anna thinks are worth watching.
- Univision put up for sale.
- Neve Campbell gets engaged.
- Al Franken moves his radio show to Minneapolis; is he running for Senate?
- Elizabeth Vargas of ABC News is pregnant.
- Franklin Cover of The Jeffersons dead at 77.
- Al Michaels traded to NBC for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
- CBS shelves Love Monkey.
- Oprah signs deal with XM Satellite Radio.
- Rob Corddry to star in a pilot for FOX.
- A Warren Buffett cartoon is in the works.
- Kelly Clarkson wins 2 Grammys, doesn't thank American Idol.
- Andrea Anders of Joey to star in new sitcom.
- Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser to join Joe Theismann in MNF booth.
- Worker on Sam Donaldson's ranch convicted of murder.
- Jon Stewart and his wife have a daughter.
- Ricky Gervais to write an episode of the American version of The Office.
- Reuven Frank of NBC News dies at 85.
- Listen to the first TV Squad APB podcast!
- Dave Chappelle to appear on Actor's Studio.... yeah, you heard me.
- Bob and the readers discuss Oprah's extensive power.
- What channels would you pick if cable was available a la carte?
- Some odd stuff happened on The Daily Show this week.
- Are there good actors who are annoying celebrities?
- Was Teri Hatcher's Grammy gown more revealing than the one J.Lo. wore a few years ago?
- Bob wonders if the Grammys still matter.
- Kim remembers The Jeffersons.
- I spotlight the work of The Office's Mindy Kaling.
- Ryan likes Stacy Keibler... a lot.
- Kim wonders if it was a good idea for Kelly Clarkson to forget about Idol during the Grammys.
- Adam feels the need to defend Maria Bamford.
- He also thinks that
Idol winners being nominated for Grammys is a bad sign.
- Battlestar Galactica: "Sacrifice"
- The O.C.: "The Heavy Lifting"
- The Office: "Valentine's Day"
- Lost: "The Long Con"
- Veronica Mars: "Ain't No Magic Mountain Hight Enough"
- Scrubs: "My Half-Acre" / "Her Story II"
- American Idol: Boston Auditions
- 24: "1:00 PM - 2:00 PM"
- Surface: Season Finale
- Gray's Anatomy: "It's The End of the World"
Personally, I love the Olympics. I let myself get caught up in the drama and the action, even though I'm definitely not a sports fan any other time of the year. The most popular sport during the winter Olympics by far is figure skating, specifically women's or pairs skating. Here, I'm listing the other sports that I will definitely be watching:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 10 TV Characters Having a Terrible Summer 2015
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Was the Power of Veto Used in Week 10?
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Predictions: Which Two Dancers Will Leave the Top 6?
- Which 'Bachelor' Alum is Joining Season 20?
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Spoilers: Desperate Measures and a Surprise Wedding
- More From BuddyTV
- TNT Sets Premiere Dates for Legends, Librarians, Sharon Stone's Agent X
- Summer TV Winners & Losers: UnREAL, True Detective, Mr. Robot and More
- Tyrant Finale Sneak Peek: Who Inside the Palace Ratted Out Jamal?
- Tom Selleck's New Jesse Stone Movie Gets Premiere Date on Hallmark
- Mistresses Finale Sneak Peek: Joss Is Free, But Karen Gets... Banished?
- More From TVLine
- Scott Eastwood and All of Taylor Swift's Other Music Video Boyfriends, Ranked
- Kris Jenner, 59, Shows Off Bikini Bod, Shoots Down Tummy Tuck Rumors
- Cheryl Burke Breaks Silence About Childhood Sexual Abuse in TLC Documentary
- Lady Antebellum to 'Step Away' From the Spotlight 'For a Little While'
- 22 Questions We Have After Watching the 2015 MTV VMAs
- More From ET