world news tonight
"Though I know there is still a long road ahead, it's nice to be feeling more like myself again laughing with family, reading bedtime stories and reminding my kids to do their homework," Woodruff wrote.
No indication was given as to when he'd return to WNT, who will be losing their other co-anchor, Elizabeth Vargas, when she goes on maternity leave later this year.
[Photo: ABC News/Ida Mae Astute via AP]
The little boy will be her second son. She and husband, singer-songwriter Marc Cohn, have another son, Zachary, who is three.
And in a related story, ABC World News Tonight will now be anchored by talking robots. Well not really, but ABC has to be worried about the future repercussions that will arise when Vargas has to take maternity leave. Still reeling from the absence of Bob Woodruff (who's condition has been improving), ABC has been pulling out all the stops to keep the evening news program on it's feet. Charles Gibson and Dianne Sawyer have helped out since Woodruff was injured in Iraq.
Vargas is married to songwriter Mark Cohn and this will be the couple's second child together. Cohn has children from a previous marriage. ABC News Prez David Westin was excited for the couple in the midst of what has been some rough times for the entire ABC News family. Vargas has been co-anchoring World News Tonight since January 3, but the baby is not due until the summer.
ABC World News Tonight anchor Bob Woodruff, who was injured in the same attack on Jan. 29, remains sedated. His injuries, to his upper torso, head, face, and brain, are much more serious than Vogt's. Doctors say that Woodruff is showing signs of improvement, but his road to recovery is going to be much longer and harder than Vogt's. In the meantime, ABC News chose to move Woodruff's co-anchor, Elizabeth Vargas, off the anchor desk and replace her, at least temporarily, with Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer.
The two are listed in stable but critical condition, after being flown to the "green zone" where military doctors operated on them. ABC is providing continuous updates on their conditions here.
Concidentally, today's Washington Post features an article about Woodruff and his co-anchor, Elizabeth Vargas. In the article, Woodruff says his goal is "to be the best damn foreign correspondent I could be."
Vargas and Woodruff take over the #2-rated newscast in the nation, with Brian Williams and NBC still on top. CBS has yet to decide what it will do with its open anchor position and there are still whispers that Katie Couric is in contention.
Indeed, their tenure will begin with Vargas in the New York studio and Woodruff reporting from Iran. If you've ever seen the nights when Brokaw, Rather, or Jennings was on the road and threw the second half of the broadcast to a studio anchor, you'll get the idea of what ABC is trying to do. This can only help, because the "ping-pong thing," as Vargas put it, doesn't work well on a 22-minute network broadcast. I mean, ABC must have learned something from the Barbara Walters/Harry Reasoner fiasco from thirty years ago. Right?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time' Episode 4.20 Photos: Emma and Regina Track Down Maleficent's Daughter
- 'The Voice' Live Blog: The Top 10 Perform
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Spring Break and the Team Dances
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.20 Photos: Castiel Helps the Novaks
- 'Gotham' Recap: The Ogre Targets Barbara
- More From BuddyTV
- Scorpion Finale Recap: Bird's-Eye View
- The Originals Post Mortem: EP Explains [Spoiler]'s Death, Klaus' New Position
- Empire Promotes Pair to Series Regular
- Report: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spinoff to Star Adrianne Palicki & Nick Blood
- New Girl First Look: Schmidt Covers Fawn's Behind, Coach Preps to Go
- More From TVLine
- 7 Biggest Surprise Appearances at Coachella: Kanye, Madonna and More!
- Wiz Khalifa & Amber Rose's Son Adorably Sings Dad's Hit Songs!
- William Shatner Remembers Leonard Nimoy: 'I Never Had a Friend Like That'
- Randy Travis Marries Fiancée 2 Years After Stroke
- Did Drake Just Congratulate Nicki Minaj on Her Engagement?
- More From ET