world news with charles gibson
The Emmy Award-winning Chang, who has previously served as a correspondent for ABC News' '20/20,' 'Good Morning America' and 'Nightline,' will replace former newsreader Chris Cuomo on the morning show.
Now it's official: On this morning's broadcast of 'Good Morning America,' co-host Diane Sawyer confirmed what industry wags had predicted all along: she'll leave 'GMA' at the end of this week in preparation for taking over for Charles Gibson, who leaves 'World News' on Dec. 18.
Sawyer will begin anchoring 'World News' Dec. 21, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
With Sawyer's departure from 'GMA,' there's a seat on that program left to be filled -- and late last week we reported that George Stephanopoulos, ABC News' chief Washington correspondent and longtime host of the Sunday morning news program 'This Week', has been offered the gig, although no official word has been made.
If confirmed, this will also leave a hole in 'This Week' to be filled, perhaps by Robin Roberts, next year.
In a statement posted on ABC's blog, 'The World Newser,' Jon Banner, executive producer of 'World News,' lauded Gibson, who has anchored the program since 2006. He noted how ABC is "preparing to see our very good friend and anchor off as he begins a new journey."
ABC World News' lead anchor Charlie Gibson has announced his retirement. He will leave the show on Dec. 18 and Diane Sawyer will take over the anchor's chair on Dec. 21.
He has only been the station's lead news anchor since May of 2006 when he stepped in for Bob Woodruff who sustained injuries from a roadside bomb in Iraq. Woodruff and Elizabeth Vargas replaced World News Tonight anchor Peter Jennings who left due to medical reasons.
But now that the news legend and former most trusted man in America has passed on to that big newsroom in the great beyond, America needs someone else to trust. They need someone they can depend on to get the hard, cold facts about the important stories that truly affect their lives. They need someone to cut through the political haze of misdirection and mediocrity that cloud almost every major news story like a lingering beer fart.
That man is ... Jon Stewart. Don't like it? Blame the rest of the news media for not doing a better job.
But I might start watching ABC News because they're launching a series called "Spirit of America" that will air weekly during World News With Charles Gibson. Ok, so it's only two- to three-minute segments once a week, but hey, it's a start. I'll give 'em that.
"Even with the economic crisis and the problems that affect so many people, we're trying to show that people can make a difference, both big and small," said World News executive producer Jonathan Banner.
The decision to rename World News Tonight, which ABC has been using since 1978, to World News (actually, World News with Charles Gibson), is due to the fact that there is now an afternoon webcast attached to the program and updates made on ABCNews.com all day long. According to news president David Westin, "We are committed to expanding ABC News and World News into the 24-hour space created by the digital world, and it makes sense for that reality to be reflected in the title of the broadcast."
This TV Week article also notes that this is the first time the broadcast's title has incorporated Gibson's name. Gibson, of course, took over the anchor spot in June.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Top 48 Acts of 'America's Got Talent' Season 9
- 'Last Comic Standing' Recap: The Roast with the Most
- 'Project Runway' Season 13 Premiere Recap: Fashion is in the Air
- Comic-Con 2014 Photos: The Cast of 'Under the Dome' in Pedicabs and Rachelle Lefevre Goes Blonde
- 'Penny Dreadful' at Comic-Con 2014: Season 2 Explores Ethan and a New Threat
- More From BuddyTV
- Sharknado 2's Ian Ziering Promises Jaw-Dropping OMG Moments, While Tara Reid... Wants to Party
- Penny Dreadful Men Field Burning Questions, Tease Season 2 'Bang-Fest'
- Scorpion Stars Talk the Genius' Weakness, Terminator-as-Lou Grant — Plus: Kat McPhee Sings for Us
- More From TVLine
- Khloe Kardashian Talks Sex Life with French Montana
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Looks Funnier Than the First
- Morgan Freeman Sucks Down Helium on 'Tonight Show'
- 'Veronica Mars' Takes Top Prize At The MTVu Fandom Awards!
- From Wizard To Demon: Daniel Radcliffe Gets Devilish In Creepy New 'Horns' Poster
- More From ET