world of warcraft
Apologies to those of you who have never played WoW, as this won't make much sense. Just embrace the Battlestar love and run with it.
This year didn't really provide any classic one-liners that have become a part of everyday conversation. There's no "Hell to the no!" or "Let's hug it out, bitch" or "Obey kaybee". So, I grabbed a few favorite quotes from our lists and from our commenters... and I threw in a few quotes from major moments in 2006 television.
- "Deal or no deal?", Howie Mandel's tagline for his new game show on NBC.
- "Live every week... like it's shark week," a bit of wisdom from Tracy Jordan on 30 Rock.
- "You taste like fish biscuits." Kate, after Sawyer kissed her on Lost.
- "Scroll over him with your mouse cursor and... right click!" Cartman, instructing his friends to attack during a game of World of Warcraft on South Park.
- "Do you mean Rain Man retarded or Paris Hilton retarded?" Lou, on Rescue Me.
- "Well, I know it's the worst kept secret in America... but I'm going to be working on CBS Evening News and 60 Minutes," Katie Couric, announcing her resignation from Today.
- "This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg." Stephen Colbert, going balls-out at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner on C-SPAN.
- "Mommy, when am I going to get my fur?" Rosie O'Donnell, quoting her daughter, during her first day hosting The View.
The idea for a MMO story had actually been kicking around for some time, but was initially shelved due to the technical aspects of it. Once they finally decided to go with the WoW episode, it took three times as long to do the WoW footage as a normal South Park episode. And that was with full cooperation from the fine folks at Blizzard. It's an interesting read for South Park fans, WoW fans, or anyone interested in machinima. And if none of that works for you, you can still go watch Red vs. Blue, because that's just good comedy.
[ via slashdot ]
South Park and World of Warcraft fans surely remember the "Sword of a Thousand Truths" from the episode "Make Love, not Warcraft." It was the secret weapon that allowed the boys to finally defeat the diabolic villain who had grown so powerful he almost wiped out the entire community of gamers. Well, that weapon will soon be a reality, or a virtual reality, I suppose. Blizzard Entertainment, the creators of World of Warcraft who helped design the gaming scenes for the South Park episode, will include the sword in the new Arena System of the World of Warcraft expansion, The Burning Crusade. Also, I have no idea what anything means in that last sentence I just typed. Nevertheless, this is a pretty cool thing. The sword will not have the supreme power it did in the episode, however. The new game could be released as early as November. A menu image is available here.
As I said in my review of the South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft," I've never seen nor played that particular game in my life, but like anything else, to many people it borders on a kind of obsession. A few World of Warcraft fans took it upon themselves to add a list of incongruities to the episode's Wikipedia page, pointing out various places throughout the episode where the game the kids are playing differs from the actual version. Most of those claims have been removed from the entry, but you can read a spirited discussion about the relevance of those claims here, and if you really feel like killing time, you can pore through the entry's history. Ah, nerds and the Web, they fit together just like peanut butter and jelly. Admittedly, I'm a nerd myself, but for cartoons. World of Warcraft I couldn't care less about, but if I found some misinformation on Mr. Magoo you can be sure I'd have something to say about it. We all have our weaknesses, after all.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 18 Official Photos: Celebrities with Their Partners
- Meet the Contestants from 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 12
- 'Castle' 6.19 Photos: Captain Gates Gets a Visit from Her Estranged Sister
- 'Grimm' Season 3 Episode Photos
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Moments of Desperation or Hope
- More From BuddyTV
- 'How I Met Your Mother' Season 9, episode 20 - 'Daisy': Something good happens after 2 a.m.
- 'Bones' Season 9, episode 16: Terrorism and life insurance in 'The Source in the Sludge'
- 'Star-Crossed': Atrian lover Victoria Platt on her baby daddy reveal
- 'Revenge' reveals a mother of a twist in post-Olympics return, 'Payback'
- 'Teen Wolf' Season 4 spoilers: A new teacher and student coming to Beacon Hills
- More From Zap2it
- Pilot News: Alana De La Garza, Gabourey Sidibe, American Dreams Dad Among Latest Castings
- Teen Wolf Adds Flowers in the Attic's Mason Dye
- HIMYM Recap: Marshall Uncovers Lily's Secret
- Revenge First Look: Emily and Victoria Face Off (and Get Physical) in Fabulous Fashion
- ABC Family Sets Summer Premieres For Pretty Little Liars, 90210 Gals' Mystery Girls and More
- More From TVLine