Overall, it seems like the Writer's Strike really hurt the business. Shows that might have survived, didn't. New shows have been stuck in development longer than usual. But despite all that, there were moments that were thrilling, shows that are terrific ... and those that weren't.
Here are just a few of the results, to see the full list, click here:
Best Drama: House
Best Comedy: Ugly Betty
Best Reality: American Idol
Best Cliffhanger: Lost
Best Villain: Ben, from Lost
Heroes Power You Wish You Had: Time Travel
My dislike of having to write this list is part of the reason why I'm posting it in early January and not in the Christmas-New Years corridor like I wanted to. Every time I sat down to write it I suddenly found something I had to do around the house (like take a nap or eat some cheese). Today, though, I finally forced the words out of my fingers. I'm looking forward to hearing how wrong I am about all of these choices!
My best and worst 2006 after the jump...
5. CBS Sunday Morning If you don't watch this, you should. It's old-school television news at its best with in-depth news stories, and lots and lots about the arts. Plus, the original "moment of zen" at the end.
4. The Daily Show A good way to blow off steam when the news of the day is really getting you down.
3. The Office This show really came into its own this season, and I just adore all the characters.
2. My Name is Earl Always good for a one-liner.
1. Lost They mess with our heads. And we like it!
5. Night Stalker I couldn't even stomach the first episode of this new show. Sad, because I had such high hopes for it.
4. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Too much showmanship, fabricated content (i.e., who can we get to build this house?), and way too much product placement.
3. Britney & Kevin: Chaotic Quite possibly the most useless piece of crap to air this year.
2. Desperate Housewives That's right. I can't stand this show. Too many open plotlines that don't interest me at all.
1. Saturday Night Live It hasn't been funny in years. Except for that Narnia rap everyone is talking about.
Perfect Hair Forever: Okay, Stroker and Hoop has grown on me, I don't think Squidbillies is all that bad, and I still haven't quite made up my mind about 12 Oz. Mouse, but damn, Perfect Hair Forever, the Williams Street artisans ribald and aloof take on the anime genre was by far the best new offering on Adult Swim this year. In typical anime fashion, only six episodes were created. I hope for a DVD release.
Wonder Showzen: Despite my local cable provider moving MTV2 around so much that it makes my Tivo cry, I have hunted down every airing of this subversive "kids show" like a madman. There is nothing else like this on TV right now, and it rivals South Park in just how far it's willing to go to make its audience uncomfortable. A second season kicks off this year.
Everybody Hates Chris: It's a good show, plain and simple. It's not the Holy Grail, as a lot of pre-show hype made it out to be, but it is an unpretentious, hilarious look at what it's like to grow up with limited means in an environment that isn't always fair.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scream Queens' Episode 5 Photos: Will Chanel Get Her Pumpkin Patch Party?
- Best 'Castle' Quotes from 'PhDead'
- 'Heroes Reborn' Episode 4 Photos: Will the Heroes Prevail or be Stopped?
- 'The Flash' Cast Teases Fallout from Singularity in Season 2
- [Videos] 'NCIS' Sneak Peek: Does Tony Have Royal Blood in Him?
- More From BuddyTV
- Empire First Look: Adam Rodriguez Enters Cookie's Lair
- Video: Jessica Jones Gets Some Air
- Nashville Sneak Peek: Deacon and Scarlett Face Their Toughest Decision
- Ratings: Minority Report Eyes Bleak Future After Second Straight Drop-Off
- Finding Carter: Will Jackson Rathbone's Jared Come Between Carter and Crash?
- More From TVLine
- 'iZombie' Scoop: 6 Appe-Teasers You Need to Devour Before Tuning Into Season 2!
- Sandra Bullock: Having a Child 'Forces You to Get Your Sh*t Together'
- Caleb Logan Bratayley's Parents Reveal 13-Year-Old YouTube Star Died of 'Undetected Medical Condition'
- Kim Zolciak Says She'll Be Back to Perform on 'Dancing With the Stars' Finale
- Cate Blanchett Decided to Marry Her Husband After 3 Days Together
- More From ET