In anticipation of their return to the silver screen, the Muppets were all over this broadcast. Kermit was getting some love from one of the female wrestlers, while Miss Piggy was getting rebuffed. Animal got to serve as the timekeeper, while Beeker actually impacted the outcome of a match.
'WWE Monday Night RAW's' 5 million weekly viewers is proof that viewers find it extremely fun. There must be something more than the non-fans see. I went undercover as a wrestling fanatic to a live 'WWE Monday Night RAW' event in Columbus, Ohio. Before long, I no longer needed to feign excitement and began truly enjoying himself.
New episodes of 'Psych's fourth season resume tonight at 10PM ET on USA. WWE superstar John Cena will guest as Ewan O'Hara, a special ops soldier and brother to Detective Juliet O'Hara (Maggie Lawson). It's a perfect bit of cross-promotion between two USA shows and before Hill got ready to rumble, he spoke to AOL TV about wrestling, romance for his character Gus and improvising with Roday.
He's a welcome addition to the cast, and he's been having a hell of a summer. Besides his memorable turn in the massive summer hit The Hangover, he was also in All About Steve and The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard. To promote the latter movie, Jeong and co-star Jeremy Piven bounced around the ring on WWE Raw in August. Imagine a tiny guy like the 40-year-old Jeong trading blows with huge wrestlers and you can see the comic potential.
When I talked to Jeong at NBC's party at the TCA press tour, we were interrupted by WWE's The Miz, and the exchange between them was just too funny for me to keep on my hard drive. Audio is after the jump.
TV viewers everywhere are hoping such sophistication returns to television with the news that World Wrestling Entertainment chairman Vince McMahon wants to create his own cable network.
McMahon wants to launch the WWE-dedicated channel for basic tier rates within the next two years. While a return to fine arts TV is unlikely, McMahon's wrestling product has been greatly softened in tone over recent months -- looking to attract a more family-based audience.
You'd hear something like, "Join me this Sunday on NBC for 'Bob Hope's All-Star Salute to Existence' with great stars like Loni Anderson, Pink Lady and Jeff, the UPI All-American Football Team, Billy Carter, Steve Reeves and Brooke Shields!"
It looks like World Wrestling Entertainment is shooting for something equally bizarre with its list of upcoming Monday Night Raw guest hosts. Vince McMahon and company plan to continue the guest general manager routine through the end of 2009 and possibly all the way to Wrestlemania 26 next March.
However, since the following hasn't been mentioned on any of World Wrestling Entertainment's television shows, it might be legit.
According to the WWE: "Linda McMahon, CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, is considering a run for the United States Senate representing the state of Connecticut. Should she decide to run, Linda would step down as CEO, and Vince McMahon would assume the duties of CEO in addition to his current position as WWE Chairman."
So far, everyone from the NBA's Shaq to Entourage's Jeremy Piven to ZZ Top has taken over the live two-hour wrestling show.
It seems that when the show producers can't find a celeb to fit the bill, they bring in a wrestling star from the past -- like The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase or Sergeant Slaughter.
As we reported earlier this week, the WWE's Monday Night Raw is running an angle in which Donald Trump purchased the show from McMahon. It's all a big wrestling "work" -- a story element to drive the weekly show and entertain fans.
The trouble is that both WWE and Raw's parent network (USA) sent out official press releases announcing Trump's "purchase." And, WWE publicly held shares fell nearly 7% the next day.
Before a shock wave ripples through the sports entertainment and reality show worlds, it's safe to say this is "a work" -- as they say in grappling circles. Trump has his orange-topped mug back on TV as an on-screen performer with WWE. Behind the curtain, when the arena goes dark, McMahon is still in charge.
According to McMahon, Trump will take over running the show in person next Monday night when a special, commercial-free Raw originates from Green Bay, Wisc.
Monday, WWE Raw will be celebrating 15 years with a special three-hour episode. On the eve of this celebration, Reuters tells us that the wrestling program's contract has been extended another two years, guaranteeing more chair smashing, smack talking through 2010. The overall deal includes a continuation of the twice yearly NBC Saturday night specials, the A.M. Raw weekend USA show, as well as a Spanish-language edition for the growing Telemundo networks.
After fifteen years, Raw remains one of cable's strongest programs, currently averaging 5.1 million viewers weekly. And since it doesn't go into reruns, that's strong programming year-round, which at this time has to look pretty enticing to the network. If things continue with the strike, we might even see more WWE programming come to NBC proper.
2. The Closer (TNT)
3. Nextel Cup - Richmond (TNT)
4. Nip/Tuck (FX)
5. WWE Monday Night RAW (USA)
6. The Suite Life of Zack & Cody (Disney)
7. WWE Monday Night RAW (USA)
8. The Parent Trap (Disney)
9. The Closer - Labor Day Special (TNT)
10. Fairly Odd Parents (Nickelodeon)
2. WWE RAW - Mon, 10pm (USA)
3. Monk (USA)
4. WWE RAW - Mon, 9pm (USA)
5. Psych (USA)
6. SpongeBob SquarePants - Mon, 5pm (Nickelodeon)
7. SpongeBob SquarePants - Sat, 9:30am (Nickelodeon)
8. Jimmy Timmy Powerhour 3: The Jerkinators (Nickelodeon)
9. Saved (TNT)
10. Fairly Odd Parents - Sat, 10pm (Nickelodeon)
1. Nextel Cup, Poconos (TNT)
2. The Closer (TNT)
3. WWE RAW - Mon, 10pm (USA)
4. Monk (USA)
5. High School Musical (Disney)
6. Read It and Weep (Disney)
7. Nextel Post-Race Show (TNT)
8. The Parent Trap (Disney)
9. WWE RAW - Mon, 9pm (USA)
10. Psych (USA)
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.15 Photos: Unlikely Alliances
- 'The 100' Episode 2.15 Photos: Time for a Battle!
- The Most Scandalous Moments from 'Downton Abbey'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 20 Official Couples Photos
- 'The Walking Dead': 20 Factors of the New Normal in Alexandria from 'Remember'
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot News: True Blood Alum Is Frankenstein's Monster
- Pilot News: Private Practice Alum KaDee Strickland to Lead CBS' Doubt
- Supergirl Scoop: Jeremy Jordan to Play CatCo Tech Guru... and More?
- The Good Wife First Look: Finn Is Back — With Another Woman?
- Allison Janney Confirms Masters of Sex Season 3 Return
- More From TVLine
- Sad News, Jared Leto Cut Off His Beautiful Long Hair
- Mindy Kaling Gives 'Mindy Project' Crew the 'Best Goodie Bag'
- Katy Perry Is Selling a Left Shark Onesie (In Case You Still Love That Meme From the Super Bowl)
- Madonna's 6 Pieces of Wisdom for Kanye West: 'Sometimes He Takes Things Too Seriously'
- This Cat's Reaction to Having Her Teeth Brushed Is Our New Reaction to Everything
- More From ET