September 16, 2014
by Stephanie Earp, posted Jul 19th 2011 1:00PM
Lisa Kudrow's new comedy 'Web Therapy' debuts this week on Showtime, and if the title didn't tip you off, the show is a 30-minute reworking of a web series Kudrow started in 2008. The simple premise worked beautifully in the miniature format.
Kudrow plays Fiona Wallice, a therapist who thinks 50 minutes is too long for a therapy session, and conducts her mini-sessions via webcam. Of course, like most of Kudrow's characters, Wallice is self-centred, mean, and not all that well-informed. (I don't know why Kudrow insists on creating such unlikeable alter-egos for herself, but that's another column.) The trick will be to see if whatever charm the original held is maintained in a 30-minute format.
I'm going to be totally honest here -- I had never heard of 'Web Therapy' until it got picked up for television. Am I completely out of touch? Was the whole world watching this and nobody mentioned it to me? Or are you just as surprised as I am to hear that Kudrow has been regularly employed -- and winning Webby Awards -- for the last four years?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Red Band Society' Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 19 Shocking Moments from 'Turn'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19 Premiere Performance Rankings
- [Video] 'New Girl' Season 4 Preview: A Wedding, A Proposal and A Love Triangle
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Predictions: Who Will Be Eliminated First on Season 19?
- More From BuddyTV
- Mindy Project: Pop-Up Exes, a Killer Cousin and 6 More Season 3 Nuggets
- Thursday Night Football Spikes Rihanna Song After Public Clash With Singer
- Hannibal Video: The Dangerous 'Allure' of the Plastic Kill Suit
- Sneak Peek: Pay Your First Visit to Syfy's Town of the Living Dead
- Ratings: Dancing With the Stars Dips to Premiere Low, Dome Rises
- More From TVLine
- Billy Crystal Calls Robin Williams' Emmy Tribute 'Hardest Thing I've Ever Had to Do'
- Sharon Osbourne Calls U2 'Middle Age Political Groupies' with 'Mediocre' Music
- John Travolta Addresses Gay Rumors, Pending Lawsuit By an Alleged Former Lover
- Kim Kardashian Defends Kanye West After Wheelchair 'Lies'
- Barbra Streisand Performs a Medley with Jimmy Fallon
- More From ET