by Stephanie Earp, posted Jul 19th 2011 1:00PM
Lisa Kudrow's new comedy 'Web Therapy' debuts this week on Showtime, and if the title didn't tip you off, the show is a 30-minute reworking of a web series Kudrow started in 2008. The simple premise worked beautifully in the miniature format.
Kudrow plays Fiona Wallice, a therapist who thinks 50 minutes is too long for a therapy session, and conducts her mini-sessions via webcam. Of course, like most of Kudrow's characters, Wallice is self-centred, mean, and not all that well-informed. (I don't know why Kudrow insists on creating such unlikeable alter-egos for herself, but that's another column.) The trick will be to see if whatever charm the original held is maintained in a 30-minute format.
I'm going to be totally honest here -- I had never heard of 'Web Therapy' until it got picked up for television. Am I completely out of touch? Was the whole world watching this and nobody mentioned it to me? Or are you just as surprised as I am to hear that Kudrow has been regularly employed -- and winning Webby Awards -- for the last four years?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The X Factor': Alex and Sierra on making Kelly Rowland cry
- 'The Tomorrow People': Murder, limbo and Darth Vader in 'Death's Door'
- 'Duck Dynasty' Christmas special recap: A nativity play and wild hog guts
- 'The Sing-Off' Season 4: Meet '90s-obsessed guy group The Filharmonic
- 'Nashville' fall finale: Did both [SPOILER] and [SPOILER] die in 'Tomorrow Never Comes?'
- More From Zap2it
- The X Factor Top 4 Performance Recap: Raise Your Hopeful Voice, You Have a Choice
- AHS: Coven Recap: The Eyes Have It
- Nashville Post Mortem: EP Dee Johnson on the Cliffhanger Death(s?), Juliette in the Doorway, Deacon's New Path and More
- Scoop: Glee Casts Skylar Astin in 'Explosive' Role
- Revenge Exclusive: Lost/FNL Alum Brett Cullen Joins Cast as [Spoiler]'s Estranged Father
- More From TVLine